jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Any Great Tips for People Who Move and Change Home Locations Frequently?

1. J.S.Matthew profile image82
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

Any Great Tips for People Who Move and Change Home Locations Frequently?

2. MG Singh profile image46
    MG Singhposted 5 years ago

Yes ! keep yourself light and don't collect junk.

3. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 5 years ago

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

4. sunbun143 profile image85
    sunbun143posted 5 years ago

Use decals to decorate wallls! There are lots of different styles and are easily removable. And family photos in frames. Both can easily make your new house a home.

Some practical tips: 1) Take advantage of any service transfering programs that your utilities and post office offer. 2) Use those big rubber storage bins with lids to store and move things - great for heavy things or fragile things. 3) Label and organize everything. 4) Find a few great restaurants nearby and try them out. Also find the nearest park. Visiting these places can give you a sense of the area quickly.

Hope that helps!

5. slobodanmesarovic profile image61
    slobodanmesarovicposted 5 years ago

Moving is something people have to do in search of a better life.We always had friends help us with the stuff and there was always a lot since we never left anything behind.You kind of get used to it but I can tell you one thing,at some point you have to say ?enough?and settle somewhere,for the good of your children and yourself.

6. JamaGenee profile image85
    JamaGeneeposted 5 years ago

Ditto to what MG Singh said! However, half the fun of being in a new place is acquiring new things specific to the area, so be sensible about your purchases.

I also agree with sunbun 143 about framed family photos and big rubber storage bins.  I took the family photo thing one step further and acquired a few frames that have a two-page photo album in the back.

The best advice I can add, though, is settle on a decorating style and furniture arrangements that'll work anywhere, and **condense, condense, condense**.  Frequently-transferred military families have this one down pat.  Confine decorating purchases to items that can do double (or triple) duty.  For instance, a footstool that doubles as blanket, game or DVD storage. If you have a lot of books, get stackable cubes that can double as book shelves AND book carriers at moving time, so you don't have to re-box the books. Also, furniture that breaks down easily or fold up. Under-the-bed containers for out-of-season items save packing at moving time, too.

working