Has anyone successfully grown an avocado tree? I live in Texas.

1. breastpumpreviews profile image81
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

Has anyone successfully grown an avocado tree?  I live in Texas.

My son asked me if we could plant an avocado tree in our backyard.  I told him I didn't think the climate was right and that we would be successful at growing an avocado tree.

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

Hello. I don't know about if you can or not, since where in Texas may make a difference. I would take the time to write a hub on this, but I haven't the time. Sorry. Maybe in the future. However just a note on the subject. You need a Mediterranean climate. That is why they grow so well in Calif. I live near the Avocado kingdom = Fallbrook, CA. I picked 'em for bucks when in high school. You will need either two trees or a grafted tree - male and female required. Plus honey bees to pollinate them, they do the best at it.

But, not knowing your son's age, you can grow them inside with a glass, water, toothpicks and a seed. Then transplant to a indoor container. This does have success in various climates because of indoor environments. Maybe there will be more answers following. If your son is in the primary school age group indoor will be fun.

working