jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why does the water from a hot-water tap often run cold for a while?

1. Myn Is Me profile image70
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

Why does the water from a hot-water tap often run cold for a while?

2. mio cid profile image47
    mio cidposted 5 years ago

because the water that is between the water heater and the faucet gets cold after a while once you open the faucet this water has to come out and once this water is out the water that is coming out of the water heater reaches the faucet.

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have to say that you ask some of the strangest questions and I'm left thinking - does she really not know this stuff?

The hot water tank is usually some distance from the faucet, so as you turn on the water, the water in the pipes heads your way--it is cold from being in the pipe, then as the hot water travels your way, within a few seconds it reaches you and TADA - it is hot.

Please tell me you know some of these things and are asking for some other reason :-)

5. Chad Banks profile image70
    Chad Banksposted 5 years ago

Because the water in the pipe between the tap and the hot cistern has had time to cool since water was last drawn. This water must be got rid of and the pipe warmed up again before more hot water can be drawn.

6. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

One time, I stayed in a modest motel in upstate New York.... and the water in the shower was hot almost immediately after I turned it on.  I mentioned this to the manager/owner, and he told me that he circulated the hot water in the main (to the several rooms).... and that main was insulated.... so I had to wait only for a very short run of pipe from that main to my bathtub before I enjoyed the hot water......

The manager told me that the plumbing for that feature, and operating the circulating system was well worth the cost.....