jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Does dog urine make a good lawn fertilizer?

1. billd01603 profile image86
    billd01603posted 5 years ago

Does dog urine make a good lawn fertilizer?

This is a serious question. I have decided that I would put all my effort and resources into the front lawn of my house. Because the dog rules the roost in  the back yard, I won't do anything but mow the back. But a strange thing has happened. The area where he does "his business" is lust, thick and weed free, while the rest of the grass is thin and covered with weeds. I have heard that pet urine can be damaging to a lawn, but that's not what i'm seeing in my back yard.

2. bmcoll3278 profile image77
    bmcoll3278posted 5 years ago

Female urine will kill grass quick fast and in a hurry. Male seems not to matter

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

The urine, which will kill the lawn, but the feces is rich in nitrogen and will fertilize the lawn.

4. Farmer Rachel profile image98
    Farmer Rachelposted 5 years ago

Interesting! "Aged" urine is actually a good fertilizer. Usually that means leaving the urine sit for a while, at least a couple weeks, before applying it. Aged manure is also a good fertilizer, but fresh manure straight out of the animal usually contains too much nitrogen and will give plants a nitrogen burn. Not sure what you're seeing! Consider other factors, like sunlight. And maybe get a soil test and test both locations. Or, maybe your grass is particularly hearty in the backyard and doesn't mind all of the raw fertilizer it's getting wink

5. profile image50
    RottingdeanJeffposted 5 years ago

Fresh urine contains urea which becomes ammonia which in turn is converted into nutritious nitrates by bacteria in soil. Essential potassium and phosphorus are also present in urine. Usually the standard advice is to dilute fresh urine at a ratio of about 1 part urine to 8 parts water (preferably "grey water").  Apparently undiluted urine can be used but the salt content can damage plants (Which is why neat urine can also be used as a weed killer). My advice is to have your dog pee in the front but dilute it with a watering can if it's not raining.
    Diluted human urine is just as effective at giving plants essential nutrients. So maybe you could accompany Rex.

billd01603posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for then advice

6. philli profile image82
    philliposted 5 years ago

Your dog must have some magic stuff because usually you will get urine spots where the dog habitually pees. Your lawn will usually get bald spots in these areas.

billd01603posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks philli