What are some good natural methods for controlling thrips on indoor plants?

1. KitschKat profile image60
    KitschKatposted 5 years ago

What are some good natural methods for controlling thrips on indoor plants?

The source of the thrips appears to be some commercial compost that I have used to plant my tomato seedlings, which I am currently growing in the house until I can transplant them to containers outside.

I want to stop the thrips from multiplying and possibly infesting my houseplants, but I don't want to use a chemical pesticide or spend loads of money.

2. Melis Ann profile image91
    Melis Annposted 5 years ago

I've used this trick on several indoor house plants to get rid of pests. Make a soap solution using Dawn liquid soap and pour into the soil. It kills any eggs and shouldn't hurt your plant (I've never had a plant damaged by this). You can sprinkle cinnamon on the surface of the soil to deter insects from laying more eggs in the soil.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Thrips are rarer on houseplants than the other tiny flying black bugs, fungus gnats, so you'll want to confirm the insect before treating. If thrips,I recommend spinosad, an organic insecticide derived from sugar cane. It is quite effective against thrips without harming beneficials like the wider-spectrum neem oil. I've found insecticidal soap to be inneffective against thrips.

working