jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do I check on a home repairman without going to the Better Business Bureau?

1. Eric Calderwood profile image84
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

How do I check on a home repairman without going to the Better Business Bureau?

The BBB charges for it's services.  Is there a reputable way to check out home repairman for free?

2. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

Require him/her to provide you with a list of past customers and call them to ask about the quality of the work and character of the repair person. . If they will not provide you with such a list DO NOT HIRE!!! Find someone else. References should always be demanded, and checked, for your protection and piece of mind.

3. kevin.howell profile image60
    kevin.howellposted 5 years ago

Check his work and ask for references.  The best place to check is where he gets his materials.  They can offer a lot of input on who is the best in town.

4. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

the online BBB doesn't cost anything. 
    you can check to see if the repair service has a BBB rating, whether there have been complaints, etc.

5. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

Be careful hiring someone unlicensed, yesterday I went an looked at an electrical service on a home that a handyman replaced an electrical panel for them without a permit, he damaged the meter can, they are without power, everything this guy did was wrong. They paid the handyman $600, it's going to cost $1600 to replace and repair what he did and the power company couldn't get this on schedule until June 12th, so they're still without power. Just because they wanted to save some money, had they called me first it would have run about $950.

6. tinagleisner profile image60
    tinagleisnerposted 5 years ago

You must already know the BBB is rarely used to qualify businesses, mostly because people don't use them when there is a problem. I found them fair in the 2 instances where homeowners reported problems with my handyman business and ... if you don't realize, people often play the game because they don't want to pay their bill like one of my homeowners forced to sell their home.

From my 8 years running a handyman business, you can learn a lot by searching for the business name and/or person. As one customer said, when I only found one complaint ... then I realized you were legitimate as sometimes there are problems, and sometimes there are problem customers (about 1 in 200 homeowners for me).

7. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

One can check on "Angie's List" for opinions from others who have used the service (business or person)....AND, in many locations, there are licensing arrangements, so you can ask who licenses that function if the person offering their service is licensed (and bonded).....