jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How do I grow radishes large?

1. Shawn May Scott profile image60
    Shawn May Scottposted 5 years ago

How do I grow radishes large?

My daughters and I planted radishes about 2 1/2 weeks ago. They have come up and are doing well but I wanted to know how do I make the veggie in the ground nice and big?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6741620_f260.jpg

2. sadie423 profile image92
    sadie423posted 5 years ago

Radishes don't get very  big- usually about an inch in diameter. If you let them get too much bigger they get wood. They take around 22-30 days depending on what variety. You should see the tops poke of the soil when ready. Sometimes if you don't plant the seeds deep enough the root will get long and stringy instead of  forming the radish. They also prefer cooler weather.

Shawn May Scottposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer. I guess I knew they do not grow too big and that they liked cooler weather, but what I may not have done is sow them deep enough as I have stringy roots. I can grow almost everything else but radishes perplex me!!! smile

3. tmbridgeland profile image83
    tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago

You can also try larger varieties. Look for Japanese or Asian radishes. HUGE!

Shawn May Scottposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, thank you. I will look them up and try them.

4. JamesGrantSmith profile image59
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

Different varieties are different sizes, but assuming you have one of the bigger varieties then fertilizer or rooster poo will really help.

working