jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the best new tomato varieties to grow in 2012

1. Barkley Rosehill profile image80
    Barkley Rosehillposted 6 years ago

What are the best new tomato varieties to grow in 2012

I picked up the gardening hobby a few years ago, and each year I try to find something new or unique to grow. I particularly enjoy growing tomatoes, and I use them in all sorts of recipes. Has anyone heard of any stand out varieties that I could sow in my garden this spring?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image65
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

We grow only organic heirloom tomatoes. We like Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, and Purple Cherokee.
    Happy Gardening.

3. Melis Ann profile image92
    Melis Annposted 6 years ago

Stick with heirlooms with whatever you choose. I have hungry Italians to feed so most of my garden is filled with simple Roma for sauce. I'll be watching your answers for some good suggestions as well!

4. Patsybell profile image88
    Patsybellposted 6 years ago

If you are starting from seed, there are a lot more choices. I like Cloverleaffarms answer. Brandywine is the standard by which all tomatoes are judged in taste testing contests. You can grow Brandywines from seed or plants. There is also aTrue Black Brandywine and yellow Brandywine.

I am looking forward to growing Indigo Rose a saladette tomato completly new tomato loaded with nutrients. For more details about this miracle fruit, seemy hub http://patsybell.hubpages.com/hub/Indigo-Rose-Tomato

Black Tomatoes are hot right now. Paul Robeson, Black Krim and Carbon are popular choices.

5. Dave Cald profile image79
    Dave Caldposted 6 years ago

It's just about that time of the year again! The weather has been warming up a bit, and that means it's almost time to start sowing those tomato seeds! While old-man-winter is trying to plan his final attack, we can start to plan our 2012 vegetable... read more