jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is it OK to install a window air conditioner permanently in a cut wall opening r

1. Maren Morgan M-T profile image90
    Maren Morgan M-Tposted 5 years ago

Is it OK to install a window air conditioner permanently in a cut wall opening rather than a window?

Because I need natural light (strong seasonal affective disorder), I hate blocking light when I put my room air conditioners in my home's windows.  Since I now see air conditioners and split air conditioners in hotels high on the walls near the ceiling, I was wondering if a "standard" room air conditioner will work in a framed opening especially sized for it.  Will it work?  I cannot see why it wouldn't, but I am asking all the HVAC experts to educate me. What placement considerations are required?

2. Dr. Haddox profile image79
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

Do you live in a county or city that allows you to install the window air conditioner in a cut wall opening rather than a window? There are codes or rules that clearly states what is allowed by law and what is not. I strongly suggest that you ask a HVAC person in your city or county, or you could call, directly, and get the information from the designated office in your town, city or county where you are living. Good luck.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

Maren Morgan M-Tposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow - it did not occur to me that this could be a codes violation.  Thanks for the input!

3. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

Cutting a hole in an outside wall would be effecting the structure of your home, this will cause structural damage, also could cause water damage. A split system is totally different, you only have to penetrate a small hole which wouldn't result in cutting framing. They also must be installed by an HVAC contractor and can be quite costly in comparison.

Maren Morgan M-Tposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the answer.  Obviously, such a hole would need to framed in a way that does not cause wall damage or water leakage...good to keep these factors in mind!

working