jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you enjoy do-it-yourself projects, or would you rather just buy a pre-made pr

1. Volitans profile image82
    Volitansposted 5 years ago

Do you enjoy do-it-yourself projects, or would you rather just buy a pre-made product?

Regardless of the purpose - hobby, home improvement, auto repair - some people love to come up with their own solutions, while others prefer the convenience and security of a commercial product. Where do you fall?

2. profile image71
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hi Volitans-

No, no, no, and no.

My hands are good for feeding myself and that's it.  As Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry said, "A man's just got to know his limitations."

I'm a firm believer in, "You don't buy a dog and then do your own barking".  I hire an expert and get the hell out of his (her) way.

You might get a chuckle out of a hub of mine from a couple of months ago, "The Plight of the Unhandy Man".

I can sum this up in an exchange I had with a (then) new neighbor some 20 years ago when we all were just moving into new houses.  I had my builder finish my walk-out with the same materials and style as the rest of the house.  My neighbor asked why I would pay $25K for something that he was doing  himself in his house for $10K in materials.

My response was as follows:  Were I to attempt to take his path, in a year I would have $10K of scrap, no finished walk-out, and my arm in a sling.  How is that a better deal?

-DW

3. Suzie HQ profile image96
    Suzie HQposted 5 years ago

I love the feeling of fixing something myself and certainly do numerous craft projects. When it comes to what i would deem serious D.I.Y or Car Repairs, luckily i have a skilled partner in these areas so between us we cover quite a bit. However, when professionals are needed, we would have no hesitation in bringing them in..

4. alphagirl profile image81
    alphagirlposted 5 years ago

You know it depends on what the project is. I am a do- it -your- selfer in some areas. I use to sew and make custom slip covers. They would fi like a glove and the sofa look brand new...but time, materials and cost is what I weigh in. I value my time with my schedule.

Landscaping? We use to do all the to do 19 yards of mulch.Now that we are much older with back pain, we now pay someone to do all the heavy yard work.

Baked goods will depend on time. I prfer butter cream frosted or anything butter. The cakes in the super markets use lard and use bright dyes on cheap frosting.
    This is when baking it from scratch makes it worth it.

Faux painting was in 10 years ago...I use to do a lot of that. For me it was simple because I have an art and a design back ground. To pau some one then it was the equivilent of wallpaper installation, plus materials.

If I had my druthers? I would want a live in cook and house cleaner.

Hope this Helps.

5. julianamontgomery profile image72
    julianamontgomeryposted 5 years ago

I would much rather do-it-myself for most areas. I like the challenge of trying to figure out how to make something work.

But the key for me is that it must be something I am interested in. I love to bake so will always bake something from scratch before I would go buy something at the store. I have very little interest in how cars work so that is an area that I leave to a professional mechanic.

working