jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Other than Tomatoes and Peppers, what other Veggie makes good containter gardeni

1. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Other than Tomatoes and Peppers, what other Veggie makes good containter gardening?

My land is hard dry clay, so this year I have been experimenting with container gardening.  What are some good choices of food to grow in containers?

2. MakinBacon profile image82
    MakinBaconposted 5 years ago

I've successfully grown green beans, cucumbers, leaf lettuce, bunching or green onions, and a wide variety of herbs in containers for years. All of these are easy to grow and respond well to pots.  As a matter of fact, I've been harvesting from the containers for over a month so far, and will continue to do so through the fall season.

3. sallieannluvslife profile image83
    sallieannluvslifeposted 5 years ago

Like MakinBacon, I plant a lot of herbs in container gardens...some do better than others but most do pretty well if you tend to them regularly.  You can grow tophat blueberry plants and strawberries in container gardens, as well.

4. teyeger82 profile image77
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I have always had good luck with cucumbers planted in containers. They do well as long as you keep them watered.

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

Romaine lettuce, spinach, herbs are always good, cucumber, peas (vine), beans (vine), carrots, chives and green onions, egg plant, etc.

PS:  I highly recommend buying organic soil and organic veggies!

6. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Warm season things would include bush beans, strawberries, herbs of many kinds including heat loving basil, eggplant, special compact varietals of  squash, melons and blueberries, and dwarf cirtrus. Most squash, cukes, melons,  corn and vining varieties need to be put in the ground.

Cool season container plantings might include: lettuces and salad greens like arugula, spinach, chard,  and peas, Onions, beets, carrots, cabbages, and cucurbits do better in the ground w/ generous compost.

7. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Thanks everyone!  You have given me some wonderful suggestions.  I think I am going to try cucumbers this time!