What is the best kind of wood to use for a greenhouse?

1. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

What is the best kind of wood to use for a greenhouse?

Aluminum was my first choice, but it's so expensive now!  I've looked at cedar, redwood, and treated wood.  I don't want to use treated wood, because I'm concerned about the carcinogenic potential.  Redwood is expensive, but I'm leaning in that direction.  I'm concerned that the high humidity of a greenhouse will necessitate a resistant wood like redwood.  What are your suggestions?  Could I use an inexpensive wood and then paint it?  If so, what kind of paint is safest?

2. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

Redwood, hands down.  I had a custom greenhouse from a kit, and did the concrete foundation on my own.  I hired a used car salesman and his pal to assemble the rest of it.  Both men were contractors in the past.  You can cut corners if you buy a kit.  It was a beautiful greenhouse, and I just started growing my crops.  Unfortunately, I got a divorce and had to move away.  I now have a greenhouse that is built out of cheap, corrugated siding.  It was a gift from a neighbor before he moved.  Whenever I look at this greenhouse, I miss the glass and redwood one that I had to leave behind.  If you are a serious gardener, get the best greenhouse that you can afford.  Otherwise, you will not be happy.

1. arizonataylor profile image82
      arizonataylorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did you treat the wood with something, or is it just natural wood?

working