jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)

Do you hang your toilet paper over or under?

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image91
    MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years ago

Do you hang your toilet paper over or under?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

The proper way is always over. If you have ever stayed in a high class Hotel you will notice how they fold it on top. This could not be done if it was under. The same with very high end restaurants.

3. lainelongfellow profile image59
    lainelongfellowposted 5 years ago

I don't really pay attention.  I usually just set the roll on the back of the toilet. smile

1. profile image0
      Kommadantposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly how I do it too.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

The correct way - over...........................................................

5. baygirl33 profile image60
    baygirl33posted 5 years ago

It's better to be over. This way,when you grab for it,you do not scratch the wall. This matters even more if your wall is papered.  You will notice the wall paper become tattered after a while.
    Also it is easier to get if it is hanging on air and not stuck to the wall.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Over. It's organized the the way toilet paper is supposed to hang. It's a pet peeve of mine...

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I agree with the majority that over is the way to go and I hope that this long standing dispute that has been the source of many domestic conflicts is now solved.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I grew up with it under and switched to over - have no idea why.  Actually now it sets on the counter because the area with the toilet is tight enough, it is easier to reach that way  - of course sometimes it can fall on the floor and roll just out of reach!

9. Leaderofmany profile image59
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

I hang over, I get very irritated if it is the other way!!!!

10. jeanniedoe profile image57
    jeanniedoeposted 5 years ago

We used to hang it over. I don't know the explanation too but that's how we hang it.

11. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Strange question. But my answer is both ways. It does not matter for me.

12. grumpiornot profile image70
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

I remember reading somewhere, but can't remember where, that you will use marginally less paper if it is hung over. Something to do with tearing off slightly fewer pieces...
    So, from a budgetary perspective, hang it over.

13. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
    Mama Kim 8posted 5 years ago

Over and my OCD takes over if I go anywhere and it's under... I must change it ^_^

14. slappywalker profile image99
    slappywalkerposted 5 years ago

I laughed when I saw this one. Great question!

I always hang mine over. It just looks much neater than when the roll is hanging under. I've had to come behind members of my family and switch it back around because it just doesn't look right when it's under.

15. MomsTreasureChest profile image91
    MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years ago

Emily Post, Miss Manners, Martha Stewart and other etiquette mavens have said that "over" is the correct way in their opinions...looks like the printers of fancy toilet paper agree.  As grumpiornot noted, a few different tests have shown that you will use less paper if it is hung over rather than under.  Thanks for all your great comments, interesting theories and rationales!