jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

What tree should I plant that fits this criteria?

1. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
    Mama Kim 8posted 5 years ago

What tree should I plant that fits this criteria?

1. Must blossom, plum tree preferred
    2. Must not grow taller than 15 feet max, With heavy pruning if needed
    3. Can grow in soil with a good bit of clay
    4. Can grow in zone 7
    5. Has a good lifespan- at least 10 years, preferably more
    6. Self-fertile/Self-pollinating. Would be awesome but not a deal breaker.

2. Pollyannalana profile image85
    Pollyannalanaposted 5 years ago

Well, why not a plum tree? I have one growing in natural clay soil that I do nothing to and it grows beautifully, In fact I have a shoot off it already has had blooms and I expect to have fruit next year. When there are blooms it looks like purple with lace.

Mama Kim 8posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm hoping for a plum tree but I don't know which variety that would fit all the criteria ^_^   What kind of plum tree do you have?  I just love plum blossoms, they are the prettiest in my opinion.

3. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

Oh my goodness, Mama Kim...I read Pollyannalana's comment and thought the very same thing...plant a plum tree.     Which kind?  why not visit a reputable nursery and get some expert advice?   Also, there is always 'google' to research the topic and varieties so you have a bit more info to be able to ask the nursery owner some questions.

I grew up with a purple plum tree and did not care for the fruit.  I prefer a red plum.  Since Michigan (at least the southeast area) has a lot of clay in the soil, this was not a problem regarding growing conditions. 

I love trees and feel it is important to plant ANY kind.  The National Arbor Foundation supports tree planting and you may actually even query them for advice and the possibility of free trees to plant.  Best wishes to you.

Thank you, I'll certainly look into the arbor foundation. I know I have some research to do. I thought maybe the question would inspire someone to create a hub on plum trees, that's what the answer/question part of hubpages is meant for after all.

2. Denise Handlon profile image89
      Denise Handlonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the question prompts a hub, Mama Kim...other times, it prompts a simple answer.  smile  Enjoy your weekend.

3. Mama Kim 8 profile image92

Very true ^_^  Enjoy your weekend as well.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I would suggest an ornamental plum (prunus cerasifera) with deep purple leaves and pink Spring blossoms. It meets your criteria w/o producing fruit. My favorite variety is "Krauter Vesuvius."

Wonderful suggestion!! Thank you!!  I did a quick google and it's beautiful, exactly the look I want ^_^

2. cat on a soapbox profile image97
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome! I'm sure you'll love it! They are really beautiful . Glad it was a good suggestion for you smile

working