jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If I plant a pistachio nut w/o shell, or a cashew, will it grow? Is it a seed?

1. Etherealenigma profile image80
    Etherealenigmaposted 5 years ago

If I plant a pistachio nut w/o shell, or a cashew, will it grow? Is it a seed?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7135758_f260.jpg

2. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Yes, it is a seed. It can be planted but will do best sprouted first between wet paper towels then raised as a seedling and transplanted often until it is large enough to put in the ground. ( 1g or 5 gal container w/ good root structure.)  It will still take 5 or more years to see any fruit production. Other considerations for success are a hot, dry climate and cross-pollination. I'd say enjoy eating them and leave production to the orchard farmers! smile

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Yes, they are seeds but sometimes they have been roasted or treated in some way.

4. GardenExpert999 profile image93
    GardenExpert999posted 5 years ago

I used to have fun as a kid growing monkey nuts into cute little plants that grew on the kitchen windowsill. Your nuts will also grow if planted into compost and kept damp in a warm, dry place, provided they weren't heat-treated at the factory. As an adult I have grown almonds from seed and the seedling trees produced nuts within a couple of years. I have no idea how long pistachio or cashew nuts take to grow and reproduce, but it would be fun trying. Good luck!

working