jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you deal with static on such dry days? Static guard doesn't last.

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

How do you deal with static on such dry days? Static guard doesn't last.

I get so tired of static in my clothes and hair in the winter months - a bit of oil on the hair helps temporarily, static guard wears off right away.  Am I missing something? How do people in very dry climates deal with static and dry air? it gets very annoying after awhile lol.

2. renegadetory profile image97
    renegadetoryposted 5 years ago

I'm originally from the prairies up here in Canada so, I can totally relate!  I had to deal with dry skin and static all the time.

In the winter months I avoided anything with polyester that wasn't lined (it will cling to you like nobody's business!) I would also douse a piece of cloth with some fabric softener (just until it is good and damp) and toss that in with my wet clothes in the dryer (I think white vinegar will do the same and doesn't make your clothes smell like they came out of a douche factory).

Keeping any skin that comes into contact with static clinging clothes well moisturized makes a huge difference as well (I used to go through quite a bit of body lotion in the winter).  Also, if your hair tends to get static cling, you can put a tiny bit of hand or body cream on your hands, rub them together and just sparingly rub through your hair (a light leave in conditioner), especially on the ends (it does not make your hair greasy, as long as you use just a tiny amount on your hands).
    I believe tossing some baking soda into your wash helps clothes become less prone to static as well (Arm and Hammer makes a great washing soda that saves you money on laundry soap because you use less and helps with static cling too).

You may also want to invest in a humidifier for your apartment/house.  This not only helps cut down on getting shocks when you touch things in your house (I used to get zapped touching my door nobs all the darn time!) but also the static in your clothes and hair.  It's also kinder to your nose and respiratory system!

You could also move to where it's more humid (as I ended up doing, not for the humidity of course), but then you start having other issues... and long for the dry days, especially when it gets hot out!!

I hope you get some much needed static relief!!

3. Sapper profile image70
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

My wife and I had spent the past 4 years in Okinawa Japan, and this summer moved to Anchorage AK. We went from hot and humid with no carpet to cold and dry with carpet is almost every room. At least half the time I try to turn off the lights the little screw holding the faceplate on zaps me. One of my dogs won't let me touch his nose anymore, wet nose's make really good conductors. If we weren't renting this place, I'd rip up all the carpet.

4. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

A fine mist of water seems to help me whether I spray it on my clothes or hair. I would avoid rubbing fabric softener sheets on things due to the chemicals in them.

working