jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

How to get rid off house rats?

1. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

How to get rid off house rats?

I cleaned up my wet kitchen every day after cooking. Sweep and mop. I make sure that the garbage in out of sight. The only thing is in the kitchen are cooking utensils and all are covered. So, what are the house rats looking for? They keep leaving their shits on the floor every day. How do I stop them from coming in?

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 4 years ago

You need to plug all the holes in your house with something they can't chew their way through. A hole the size of a walnut will let a rat through. Check outside and inside for holes they can squeeze through. You may need expert help on this.
    Where they cross your kitchen, set rat traps for them, traps larger and stronger than those used to catch mice. Handle the traps with throwaway plastic gloves so you don't leave any scent on them. Try spreading peanut butter on the traps' triggers. Avoid the use of poison baits; rats get wise to these and relocate them where other animals can get at them.

1. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@copper
      thanks for yr advice. My back kitchen door is an open air grill, not fully enclosed. Guess it must be that reason.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
      LoisRyan13903posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Rats are smart.  And if you don't want to kill them, you can proably use a humane trap, if they even make one designed for rats.  Do u know if they are rats an not mice

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@lois
      yeah, rats are damn smart rodents !

working