jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

What are three to five "must have" items in your home emergency kit

1. Handicapped Chef profile image79
    Handicapped Chefposted 4 years ago

What are three to five "must have" items in your home emergency kit

What are three to five "must have" items in your home emergency kit? Please no, links. The goal is to inform and engage each other. Thank you for your positive responses

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8398383_f260.jpg

2. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

Humm only 5?
    1. wipes (wet type sterile like baby wipes).
    2. assorted bandages (like Band-Aid) wet, dry in sizes from dots to 4"x4".
    3. Neosporin & Pain antibiotic ointment.
    4. strong pain killer (Like Vicodin preferably ES).
    5. Gloves (surgeon's latex just be sure you are not allergic to latex).
    6. extremely high quality tweezers set.

My travel first aid kit has around 20 items and I have far more than that laying around the house. These are the top 6 but I'm a big believer in a well stocked home kit. You never know what might happen and you could end up playing medic to more than your own family.
    Of course your brain is the real #1 item. Everyone should have at least the basic knowledge of proper first aid.

Handicapped Chefposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You sound like you have everything lined up but what do you do about a emergency what are your thoughts to protect your family from a fire or fatal accident.

2. Borsia profile image45
      Borsiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

For fire you need a burn kit and an evacuation plan, I have both, but I don't know that there is much one can do about a fatal accident. That falls beyond the realm of first aid. Maybe a last aid kit would work, I don't have that one.

3. Handicapped Chef profile image79

I agree with you but you can plan a point of action to avoid a fatal accident way it could save a life that what I do with me and my family.

4. Borsia profile image45

An accident is by definition an unpredicted incident with bad results. You can't really pre
      vent it, all you can do is be as ready as possible to deal with the aftermath.

5. Handicapped Chef profile image79

I agree to disagree I think there are preventive ways to stop something that could be fatal

6. Borsia profile image45

you can prevent some but others. accidents, aren't predictable. Falling objects, car crashes, stray bullets, poisonous snakes, etc, etc.
      An accident is by definition s an event that gave no warning.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I always keep a stash of bandaids, hydrogen peroxide, and extra blankets. 

Hydrogen peroxide has come handy for many situations.  Cuts and scrapes benefit from the disinfecting properties.  It's also good for removing stains from blood on clothing after someone gets a scrape or cut.

I keep extra blankets because I have children.  There have been many times when someone gets suddenly sick and they need clean bedding to go back to sleep or to wrap up with to stay warm.  I've been stuck with dish towels in the past when both of my children had a horrendous bug at the same time, so now I purposely stash blankets in the linen closet for emergency situations until the regular ones can be laundered in the event of a sudden illness.

That's great are you making a kit just in case on a emergency like fire or something can be fatal to you and your family.

working