jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you follow a repairman throughout your house?

1. davidlivermore profile image99
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

Do you follow a repairman throughout your house?

When I have a repairman come to my house, I always follow them around to see what they are doing, the progress they are making, etc.  Even if it's something simple that doesn't take long, I still like to watch and observe to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing.  Do you do the same?  Do repairman not like that?

2. Borsia profile image43
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

I do, mostly because I don't trust strangers in my house. But more because I want to see exactly what they are doing and charging me for.
    If I don't know the exact procedure but I will have a general idea of what is being / should be done.
    I don't really care if they like it or not and I'd be willing to bet that were I doing something in their house they would follow me as well.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

We recently had a repair man come to fix our dryer.  He told me from the moment he walked in the basement that he did not want me hovering over him.  He would let me know when he finished!  LOL

But then after that, we had a washing machine delivered because our old one broke.  The delivery men were very appreciative that I stuck around because I helped out, holding doors and such.  So it's just a matter of who comes here.

4. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No, I don't do that.  If we are having work done on a different floor, then my husband will spend time nearby. Mostly, in our small town everyone knows everyone so we don't have much of a trust issue.

If I loved in a big city, I would not be alone with a repair man in the house though...I'm a little distrustful that way.

5. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 4 years ago

Of course, I would never give a complete stranger that much control/power/freedom in my home.

6. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 4 years ago

No, I don't. The repairmen here have been coming to this house for a couple of decades, though we've only lived here for the last three years, and they have a good reputation in this small town. We also don't really have anything of value worth stealing, so no point hanging over the poor guy. I hate having people breathing down my neck when I try to work, so I extend the same courtesy I'd want for myself. Our house is small enough that we're usually nearby anyway, but certainly don't go out of our way to keep an eye on the repair person unless it's to make sure my dog leaves him alone. It probably depends on the individual of whether they like that or not, but I'd guess that most don't -- they're trying to focus on a job, and my presence can offer no benefit at best or be a distraction at worst.

7. innerspin profile image92
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

No, I don't follow them around, Having people follow me round is one of my pet hates, so I don't do it to others.

8. Laura Schneider profile image93
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

I definitely follow them around, making sure everything is done correctly (to the best of my knowledge) and that they're not stealing anything, breaking anything, or leaving dirty finger prints on the railings and walls.

I don't care if they mind it or not--my house, my rules: behold, the door. I'm sure there are other contractors who won't mind that I watch them.

9. BenRam profile image56
    BenRamposted 4 years ago

Of course. That will be very advisable. Of course, you need to make sure that everything is done well. Home improvement can be so much fun. Custom Granite Steps Tampa, Florida is a good investment. Check this out http://www.stmgranite.com/services.html.