How do you follow your heart?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Catherine Kane profile image80
    Catherine Kaneposted 12 years ago

I had a young girl, out of the blue, ask me that the other day through the drive-in window at McDonald's
    I gave her what I've found in life on the matter, but I think it's an interesting question, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image59
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

I don't follow my heart. It goes with me.

3. EuroCafeAuLait profile image78
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 12 years ago

Step one is to turn off the head which is just about as un-helpful as a bitter old prune saying "EH!  That'll never happen!"  So, CLICK. 

Second, be still and listen.  Sometimes it is buried so deep what your heart is craving for that it has to be unlayered.   For example - what you don't want may be more obvious.  OK, Now we're paring things down. And then it gets more refined.  Is this better than that?  What do I really want?  What appeals to me more?

Third - write it down.  A moment of revelation can be lost in a flash with bad news on the TV and reality crashing in to drown out that tiny voice, that subtle little "internal tour guide" that says "I'd like to take a better look at that".  Get in on paper and put it in front of you.  Then and only then can steps be conceptualized toward progress towards that highly unlikely, certainly impossible dream - goal - destination - result that you are pining for. 

GO FOR IT!  Baby step by baby step.

1. profile image0
      KDuBarry03posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Little baby steps do ensure you climb over the bump in the roads ahead!

4. The Stages Of ME profile image82
    The Stages Of MEposted 12 years ago

Nice question ~ I follow it one day at a time.  I try to be guided by what is already written on my heart and also be open to new ideas and opinions.  I try not to judge and always look in the mirror and check myself. Some days I need more mirrors than others as life can be a distraction.  But as I say to my kids, " always look up an remember where you want to go." smile

5. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 12 years ago

To follow your heart means to do what means most to you to do.

Generally speaking "we get caught up in doing what society thinks we should do... or do what our piers or parents think we should do"  We forget that the only one who lives in our skin is ourselves.  Generally we are too concerned with what others think of us. Remember "it is none of your business what others think of you"

So Follow your heart means do things that matter TO YOU.

Live by making your own choices, thus LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE and not through the choices others make for you. Accept who you are and accept others as who they are. That is the true meaning of "do not cast judgement on others."  BE who you are! Learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

Full Speed Ahead - One Inch At A Time!

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you do affetcs others too. No man is an island. You can live your life but where it concerns others you need to reconsider.

2. Catherine Kane profile image80
      Catherine Kaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thus
      It's true that no man is an island, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to ignore your own calling because other people have plans  for you

3. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ThussaysNanaMarie - Of course no man is an island...  You should still live your own life. Moving ships create waves and may rock boats.... but a captain who knows where they are going will not crash your boat. Tough on you if it rocks yours. Float!

6. BeliDee profile image59
    BeliDeeposted 12 years ago

Do what you really want to do. Not what others want you to do. I always follow my heart.

7. Innuentendre profile image69
    Innuentendreposted 12 years ago

Your heart is a compass that you follow naturally unless you're following something else. I think many people stop listening, or worse listen to a wicked heart. God says to hide his word in my heart and seek him with all of my heart so I know I'm going in the right direction. My heart enjoys free reign within certain paramaters and it feels good to follow it.

8. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 12 years ago

In my opinion, when I follow my "heart" i am usually acting without thinking amd generally wind up making a poor decision....Like thusfar, my purchasing Facebook Stock on Friday was following my heart and is so far a poor decision...the jury is still out on that...

I really beleive that if you make decisions purely on gut feeling or heart you are doing yourself a dis-service and could benefit from looking forward at the possible outcomes of your decisions before jumping into any situation.  There is nothing wrong with using all of our attributes to make decisions as opposed to making rash ones purely b ased on feeling.
    This however my opinion and you know how that phrase goes!  Good question!

Thanks
      As for the stock, It'd seem a bit early to decide whether its a bad choice or not. From what I understand, buying stock is being in it for the long haul, so wait and see...

9. megni profile image60
    megniposted 12 years ago

Follow your conscience is the same thing, almost. You must always seek the truth of any situation and put aside any heart felt sentiments that may not be the best overall step to take. But essentially following your heart is meant to be following your conscience. It means putting aside personal gain to benefit others, giving to others in need even when it hurts, doing the right thing when to do the wrong thing is most convenient.

10. Mr Nice profile image75
    Mr Niceposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6636946_f260.jpg

~ Three Rules of Life...
    1: Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.

2: Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.

3: Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition - they somehow already know what you truly want to become. ~ Steve Jobs

~ Listen to all who speak from their heart but do not obey their sayings blindly because the truth the actual truth is within you. ~

Conclusion
    ~ Follow your heart, but do not forget to take your brain with you. ~

11. endless sea profile image61
    endless seaposted 12 years ago

I don't know how I follow my heart, I never remember doing things any other way than doing it what I feel in my heart. People and studies say central nervous system includes brain,spinal cord and nerves which have reflexes and take actions on order of barn, but in my case my CNS seem to in heart even before my mind could make decisions my heart takes it first and I go along with it. Mind is full of both aspects the good and bad, healthy and unhealthy, profitable and non-profitable, whereas heart don't go so deep into any matter it just say's "Do IT" or "Don't Do IT". Some time the decisions are right and you are happy.. some times when decisions turn out to be wrong at least you don't regret it.. well I don't regret following my heart...so answer to question will be, " Talk to your heart close your eyes and remove thoughts from brain tell your heart to guide you and it will." smile

12. RustyW profile image65
    RustyWposted 12 years ago

Following one's heart involves trust and passion. Every time someone does something that they are unsure about with passion and zeal, essentially that is "following one's heart". It is following someone or something without knowing will you will end-up...

1. profile image0

It is also vital for one to trust someone wholeheartedly. Sometimes, if you don't fully trust someone, horrid events may occur.

13. gabgirl12 profile image59
    gabgirl12posted 12 years ago

Know what makes you happy.

When you have a firm conviction of this and know how to do it, you know you are following your heart. Remember its not about being emotional, but being satisfied.

14. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 12 years ago

Heart is controlled by emotions. While dealing with emotion, love and anger, you don't need to apply your mind.. The feelings of this kind which you are talking about is a thought process  which is directly connected to your  heart and the emotions emerged out of it  will  obviously follow  your  heart.. Therefore,
    everyone of us  would love to  go by our heart in this situation.

15. sunkentreasure profile image68
    sunkentreasureposted 12 years ago

FOLLOW HAPPINESS By BERNARD LEVINE

Listen to the voice inside you and be at peace in your mind.

It’s amazing that you can talk to the Creator of this vast universe

in a soft whisper

one-to-one

and He listens to you.

Only through prayer will you find

your true inner self and liberty.

Prayer is the key that opens the door to the awesome power of God.

True happiness comes in abundance when you pray to God with all your heart.

In this world, it doesn’t matter what people think of you…

the only thing that matters is what God thinks of you.

Follow what makes you happy and fills you with passion.

The key to inner wealth is to make melody your friend.

Treasure this day that God has given you

to be more open and to love more fully.

Call out the seeds of greatness

and encourage someone.

When you deposit your love into the hearts of strangers

That’s when miracles begin.

Enrich your soul soaking in the beauty of nature.

Take time to tell someone about Jesus.

Walk through the world with eyes of love.

When you reach out to bless the poor

You’ll change your life forever.

It’s your daily prayer that refreshes you

from the clutter and noise of the world.

Take responsibility for your life and future.

Thank God for His goodness and all the blessings He gives you.

God’s genius is everywhere.

Live your best life.

©Bernard Levine

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is such a beautiful poem, You can feel the passion in it.

16. neeta chauhan profile image61
    neeta chauhanposted 12 years ago

Hi everyone ,

its a very complicated question i must say but never the less i
    will try my best to do justice to your question . ...

I follow my heart by doing which is useful , harmless to others , innocent
    but beautiful acts like doing good deeds , being honest to oneself and others
    no matter what happens and yes ! , try my best to refrain from indulging in
    bad deeds ......

In short i do not follow my heart but i make my heart follow me.......  its a known
    fact that hearts are created blind, that is why its advisable to make it follow you
    rather then you follow a blind organs of yours ....

"Before the throne of the Almighty, man will be judged not by his acts but by his intentions. For God alone reads our hearts."  ( Mahatama Gandhi)

17. sriparna profile image81
    sriparnaposted 12 years ago

It's extremely important for all of us to follow our heart..... but at the same time other commitments, circumstances and interests of our dear ones often come in the way. But one can still make some effort to steal some moments of the day and do something they really want to do. For example, I have spent some time in Japan, when I was really into learning Japanese language, but was not getting time out of my busy schedule. So when I used to cook dinner or lunch, my Japanese learning CD was kept on and while chopping vegetables or frying, I used to listen and learn and enjoy Japanese.

Easier said than done, for long-term aspirations, you must really plan and be ready to make compromises in order to follow your heart.

18. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

Following your heart means when logic and evidence do not support what your inner voice tells you, you follow your inner voice any way.
    It is very difficult to do unless you trust yourself completely....

It is hard, isn't it?...

19. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

There is only one way a person can "follow their heart" and it goes like this:  "put your heart out front."  That will allow people to know you are an open and loving person, happy to be taken at face value, and not ashamed to be who you really are;  not a phoney.
    So many people keep their heart hidden, as if it would be unacceptable and something to even be ashamed of.
    Being open and honest has the risk of rejection, but at least you know they are rejecting the real you and not the phoney you.  An honest rejection is easier to deal with in the long run, than having to wonder "What will they think of me when they get to know the real me?"

20. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 12 years ago

I believe one must follow their heart with an open mind. I cannot make decisions solely from my thoughts, solely from my emotions, or solely from my heart. For me, there must be a balance between what I think, feel, and know for me to follow through a decision. Great Question!

21. Marsei profile image90
    Marseiposted 12 years ago

By spending  as much time outdoors with nature as possible.

22. Gwen Cuizon profile image69
    Gwen Cuizonposted 12 years ago

I always associate the heart with my dreams in life. So if you want to follow your heart then you have to follow your dreams.  Let life take you to where they lead.

23. brightforyou profile image80
    brightforyouposted 12 years ago

Its not always wise to follow your heart... especially when most of us go through stages of believing our heart is our hormones!  However, your true heart quest will bring peace.. it will feel 'right,' it won't bring you stress, discourse, self-doubt or misery.  So, to answer your question, I think perhaps following our heart means to follow that which is right for us; that which wants to expand us, that which brings us peace of mind and the ability to love fully... how do you follow your heart... by listening to it, discerning what is 'need' or addictive or urge.. from what is good, wholesome and expanding.  We are all struggling to follow our hearts.. what a great question!

24. Amethystraven profile image71
    Amethystravenposted 12 years ago

I follow my heart, or I like to call it my intuition by listening to it. My intuition has never steered me wrong. As far as people go, my heart has told me, "This person is going to hurt you." My eyes and ears told me, " No they're not." Twice my heart has told me that about people and my heart was right while my eyes and ears were fooled. Being fooled only lasted for so long. I have learned not to ignore my intuition. It has never been wrong. Difficulties cam from challenging it to see if it was right. Those difficulties only made me who I am today, which is stronger and more aware of my intuition or heart. I have a path and my intuition is my guide. When I do follow my heart, the outcomes are very positive. Through experience, I learned that although another person hurt me, I take some of the blame because I already saw it coming and chose not to listen to my heart. Mahatma Gandhi says " No one can hurt you without your permission." For me this rings true :-) This is a great question Catherine, thank you for asking.

You're welcome. I'm loving the answers here

25. alahiker28 profile image84
    alahiker28posted 12 years ago

Step 1:  Believe in yourself.
    Step 2:  Listen to yourself.
    Step 3:  Apply reason and remember, everything important is relative to something else.
    Step 4:  Find the courage & strength to move forward with your dreams.

1. profile image0

agreed!

26. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Following our hearts is always a good thing.  But ...  never leave our common sense behind. 
      My heart wants a lot of things that my mind knows that I can't afford

1. gabgirl12 profile image59
      gabgirl12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hear that. But I always understood that 'my heart' was in relation to things that I have a purpose for and people I love. Following your heart...and your dreams.

27. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years ago

With my head right behind. We never always think things through with the heart but it is supposed to be the most in touch with our spiritual self. I think the heart does not see the whole picture sometimes so the head should not be far behind.

28. juneaukid profile image72
    juneaukidposted 12 years ago

There's a beautiful folksong of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia that suggests a way to follow your heart. "My heart is in the Highlands where it follows the deer through the forest."

29. kate12402 profile image61
    kate12402posted 12 years ago

So odd that you ask this because it's something I've been asking myself with terrifying frequency over the last year.  I think that as children all we do is follow our hearts.  And then we are, by necessity, acculturated into society and taught to restrain ourselves, and that certain things our heart tells us to do aren't good, and so we stop listening.  I think it's a lot harder for adults to re-learn how to listen to their hearts. 

For myself, I find that talking, writing, and meditating help me listen.  When I talk things through (often with myself haha), I ask myself questions, and and seriously question my motives and thoughts.  Same goes for when I write out my thoughts.  When you are physically looking at your thoughts it's a lot harder to delude yourself or convince yourself one way or another because everything you think is written out, naked, for you to see.

Meditation helps me clear my mind of all the outside influences and stresses.  Makes it easier to hear with a clear mind.

30. Lady Wordsmith profile image74
    Lady Wordsmithposted 12 years ago

Simple.  I never do.  My heart, to me, is a pump that pushes my blood around my body.  My brain does the thinking, and sometimes it's a little sentimental so I ask it to behave and tell it that I will ignore it until it comes up with a sensible suggestion.  When my brain has come to its senses, then I allow it to present me with the facts, and together, my brain and I decide what to do.  I almost never act on impulse (I've learned from terrible experience!), except when in book shops.

I am probably, what one might term, analytical.  The 'heart' can say whatever it likes, but it never gets to be in charge in this ole house.

(Actually, sometimes I wonder whether my heart is actually made of ice?)

I used to be seriously analytical, but with the years, I've learned to follow my heart, and let my head sign in on things. This seems to work pretty well for me

31. AlexK2009 profile image81
    AlexK2009posted 12 years ago

If you have multiple paths to take then in a relaxed state take three steps on each one, physically or in your mind and discard the ones where your steps get slower and slower. Pick the one  where your feet go fastest.

In the real world I have  known myself turn right out my door take ten steps then turn round and go the other way.  Sometimes I found my feet taking me unexpectedly pleasant places. Sometimes I find I am reacting with dread to something I had been anticipating with  pleasure.  Sometimes something just feels wrong.

And just occasionally I find I yell   NO!    when waking up

32. CBartelmey profile image70
    CBartelmeyposted 12 years ago

I have had instances in my life where my 'heart' told me to do one thing, and my 'head' or reasoning told me to do another.  When I was led by my reasoning I found that my heart perhaps had the better answer.  For my reasoning has seemed to more take into consideration the me, myself and I, whereas my heart somehow knows the you and us that encompasses that picture as well. 

Following that is not always the easiest thing to do, but from my experience, there is a marked difference in the outcome when I have followed one over the other.  When following your heart I think you just have to trust.  Maybe the road will ebb and flow and the path will not be as direct, but the outcome from an avenue etched with heart I think will always yield far greater returns.

1. Alexander Mark profile image81
      Alexander Markposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"but the outcome from an avenue etched with heart I think will always yield far greater returns."

Yes!

33. Alexander Mark profile image81
    Alexander Markposted 12 years ago

I haven't figured it out quite yet, so this is a great question and there are a lot of great answers. I am struggling with this very thing right now and I want to say thank you to everyone that contributed!

I know for me, I can remember specific instances when I didn't follow my heart, that still small voice, and regretted it. I remember better times when I did and I am glad I did it even though there was some sacrifice involved - it was completely, 100% worth it.

34. alifeofdesign profile image85
    alifeofdesignposted 12 years ago

....by limiting how often my inner intellect can convince me to do something or act on something because of out-side influences.

35. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 12 years ago

When in doubt regarding my actions/thoughts, I ask myself: "Does my path have heart?" And it has to in order for me to keep going.

It is a simple question but it has certainly made my going easier. I do what I feel is right. I listen to my inner will and not so much the ego. Cheers!

36. CynthiAnn profile image61
    CynthiAnnposted 12 years ago

God will give you your heart's true desire. When I refer to "following my heart", it is for something that goes much deeper than just thinking and pondering over.  It is for something that I don't even need to think about to know that it is the right choice or the right way to feel.  It's more than just a "feeling".  It's a "knowing" of a truth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)