jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How do you keep bees away from the house?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years ago

How do you keep bees away from the house?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12048826_f260.jpg

2. ladyolove profile image60
    ladyoloveposted 2 years ago

Please do not kill them, we need them. Asia is having a huge problem pollinating their crops because the bee's are missing. I would suggest putting flowers that they are attracted to high hanging so the bee's do not cross ones path and be given a death warrant. Also since insects are attracted to sweet smells and bright colors, pull those things away from the crowd or prop something for them to be attracted to-away from people.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 2 years ago

To keep bees away from the house, avoid putting pollen- rich flowering plants and vines near  eaves and foundations.This goes too for hummingbird feeders. They are attracted to these things.  We need bees for pollination and agriculture. Since populations are critically low worldwide, it is a crime to kill them.  Avoid blue/lavender flowers and choose those w/o exposed stamens ie.  marigolds, zinnia, carnation, pansies, impatiens, pelargoniums, etc. Hope this helps:)

4. Lady Guinevere profile image59
    Lady Guinevereposted 2 years ago

I would like to know that for my Carpenter Bees.  They do not sting but they burrow holes in the wood and lay their eggs in there.  I don't think that they do much else as I have never seen them go on flowers.  The only thing that I see them do is hover around and dig their holes in my house and wood.  They do not even do this in the many, many trees that we have becasue we live in the woods.  I am trying to bring the other bees, especially the Mason Bees, who are solitary bees and do not make honey, to my area as well as feed the humming birds that come here to feed in the summer.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image97
      cat on a soapboxposted 2 years agoin reply to this

We had carpenter bees for years which drilled into our patio cover. Try soaking cotton balls in peppermint, clove, or eucalyptus oil then stuff them in their holes.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image59
      Lady Guinevereposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I will try that, if I can reach them.

working