jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Anyone in Southern California having trouble growing cucumbers right now?

1. therenegadehippie profile image81
    therenegadehippieposted 2 years ago

Anyone in Southern California having trouble growing cucumbers right now?

I have four or five cucumber plants, some in pots, some in smart pots, some in the ground, and none of them seem to be doing very well.  They are growing, and blooming but very slow.  Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same?  The weather hasn't been very consistent either.  It was in the 90's last week and is overcast and in the 60's this week...  I am growing a variety of pickling cucumbers.

2. eugbug profile image99
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

I've never grown them but they are a warm weather crop. So they probably need lots of sunshine and soil, and if it's gloomy and overcast, it won't help. Maybe your soil is too well draining and was overly dry during the hot spell? What growing medium are you using in the smart pots?

1. therenegadehippie profile image81
      therenegadehippieposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I believe the smart pots did get too dry during the heat.  I have a mixture of composted manure and coco-peat. I think maybe I need a heavier medium?  I have never grown in smart pots before and the coco-peat seems to dry out quickly.

2. eugbug profile image99
      eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

According to Thompson & Morgan (the seed people), min temperature should be 60F/15C and humus rich compost needs to be kept moist.
      Its possible also that the sudden drop in temperature shocked the plants, or maybe sunshine scorched the leaves.

working