What to do when your tomato plants outgrow their cages?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

What to do when your tomato plants outgrow their cages?

HELP!! My cherry tomato plant measured at 7 ft 4 inches 2 days ago. They are several feet over the cage. The cage has began to fall over and the whole top of the plant has now fallen over. They are against the house in a garden. We have attempted staking out, but it isn't working. I don't want to lose the plants. We have well over a hundred cherry tomatoes on the top half that is falling over that I don't want to waste! Ideas please?

2. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 8 years ago

You could try making some form of "wigwam" arrangement with canes, slender poles, light timber or copper tube pushed into the ground. Tie at the top where all the sections meet. This would likely be more stable than staking. You could then gently tie the plant to this structure with wide string, flat laces or similar to avoid damage to the stems.
    Take a photo so we can get a better idea of the situation.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good advice except for the copper tubes. We live in the south and recently had to remove our metal tomato cages and substitute plastic coated wire ones because the metal was cooking our plants.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

When they grow above the cage then it is time to pick them off the plants and cook them or eat them. Yum.
    The bare plants can be cut back and allowed to grow again.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We have the same situation, but picking and eating is not yet possible, as they are still green.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12460067_f260.jpg

He is holding up part of it. There is about two feet sagging behind him. The cage is in there, but the  stakes we had up did no good so I removed them.
    Edit sorry the pic didn't upload the first time, should be showing now.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you live in a single story building, it might be easy to tie a piece of thin cord or string to a cup hook screwed into the soffit or even tie it around the gutter. Then just loop the other end of the cord around the tomato plant.

5. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 8 years ago

I do not even know if I believe the photo in this link

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions … y-tomatoes

but besides pruning and enjoying a smaller plant, you'll be needing some beefy stakes or be willing to espalier the plant somehow:

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/arti … ruit-trees

6. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12460915_f260.jpg

I use this type of structure to support tomato and cherry tomato plants (in the right season, lol.) You could make one that runs beyond your plant - and tie the plant along it.

Lots of people say to support tomatoes on lengths of wire between stakes, but I find it damages the plant - so I use chicken wire and make sure there's a cross beam to hold up the weight.

Your other option is to create an arch coming out into your yard area. Tomatoes grow just fine at an angle ... they'll even grow along the ground, and set new roots if you let them ... but then they are very difficult to pick, and risk rotting on the ground depending on the weather. They need fresh air to stay healthiest.

The frame in this picture is one I use for peas or beans. My tomato frames are taller but I can't be bothered walking through my winter weather right now to take a photo of it. Same, but taller wooden posts, and the wire netting starts higher from the ground.

As someone already said, when you tie them on, use soft ties. Strips of fabric, for instance. After that, you can just tuck the ends back and forward through the chicken wire.

You could lean your frame against the side of the house ... and have the main length away from your window.

Make your frame bigger than you expect to need, because nature in action always provides surprises. smile

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. We have made a mix of chicken fencing and poles to keep it in place for now. I guess I will need to make some of those because still have more plants growing thatll be tall soon.Nature has been very kind to our plants if I can keep them going

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yours certainly look healthier than ours.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)