jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How often do you clean and deodorize your mattress?

1. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 2 years ago

How often do you clean and deodorize your mattress?

Aside from using bicarbonate of soda to clean your mattress of mites and to refresh it, what else do you do?

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

Aha! another practical question of the sort that HubPages loves!
    I turn my mattress every 6 months (January and June) and turn it according to the manufacturer's directions. (head to foot)
    At that time, I use a light spray of Febreze to help keep the mattress fresh, but I also use an impermeable mattress protector/cover to keep out moisture and mold and bedbugs? Don't know if it really will keep out a bedbug, but I don't seem to have any, so maybe it works.
    If you cannot manage to turn the mattress yourself, It may be possible to turn the whole bed if it is on rollers.
    Flipping the mattress is beyond my ability. I would have to hire a maid service.

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

My mattress routine is minimal due to the fact that when a mattress is brand new, I encase it with a well-made quilted, sanitary, zippered cover
    Once about every 3 to 4 months (which coincides with our 4 seasons, I do the suggested mattress Flip, at which time I will launder & bleach the cover.
    This habit has been successful for me in maintaining a clean, safe & comfortable  mattress.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

honestly, i have never clean my bed, just change the bedsheets because my bed is way to heavy to put it out under the sun

5. JG Hemlock profile image81
    JG Hemlockposted 2 years ago

Mostly when I change our sheets. I often take a cap of bleach and hot water with a dab of dish soap and scrub the top of the mattress. Open the window and let it air dry as I do the laundry. The bed always stays fresh and we have had our mattress since 2003!

6. Brinafr3sh profile image81
    Brinafr3shposted 2 years ago

To keep it clean, I just buy online vinyl mattress covers with the zipper, and keep it on the mattress. The vinyl can be wiped with a sanitizer spray, or place a couple scented dryer-sheets between the sheets and vinyl cover.

working