jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the best plants to grow inside a small apartment?

1. AmandaLBrantley profile image73
    AmandaLBrantleyposted 2 years ago

What are the best plants to grow inside a small apartment?

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I got probably too technical when I had them. I used a NASA guide-chart for air filtering. It can be found at Wikipedia. Importantly that chart also shares if the plants on that chart are toxic to dogs and cats. There is a Hub by Jayme Kinsey sharing ten plants that are toxic. She has a chart for toxic plant regard children and pets - cats & dogs.

The NASA chart lists different plants and what toxins they remove. I looked about in my mobile home to ponder about it. For instance my cleaning agents that left presence in the air. An example is ammonia. Benzene is common in pesticides and some air fresheners. Trichloroethylene is common with arts and crafts chemicals.

Again, I may have gone overboard in some people standards.

3. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 2 years ago

For food? Herbs are wonderful and easy to grow if you have a window that gets sun.
    Do you have a patio like many apartments? If so you can grow many things in pots that will do well on a patio as long as it gets sun. Tomatoes, hot peppers, bell peppers, banana peppers, lettuce, onions, garlic, and basil would be my go to's on a patio.
    There are many great websites which will help you with small spaces if you have a patio.
    If you don't have a patio and are only looking for inside plants, I'd stat with herbs if I were you. Maybe lettuce also. It does well when it doesn't get too hot and only has some sun throughout the day.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 2 years ago

Indoor plants are great for cleaning the air and adding beauty. There are many choices, but they are based on light exposure, space, and risks of toxicity to children and pets. I'd suggest checking out a nursery's greenhouse and asking a knowledgeable person for recommendations based upon those considerations:)

working