What is the green stuff growing on my trees?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 7 years ago

What is the green stuff growing on my trees?

We've been having a lot of rain lately, and I just noticed the trunks of the trees in my yard have this green growing on them.  Does anyone know what it is and is it harmful to the trees?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13371663_f260.jpg

2. TNNursery profile image51
    TNNurseryposted 7 years ago

Common name Algae, lichen, moss
    Areas affected Trunks and stems of trees and shrubs
    Main causes Humid, damp, still conditions and poor plant vigour
    Timing Algae are more noticeable after wet weather; mosses and lichens are present year-round, but are more noticeable in winter.
    Tammy
    http://www.tnnursery.net

Faith Reaperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, wow ...thank you, Tammy!  Yes, we've certainly have had damp weather and I just noticed this or maybe it's more now.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years ago

Yeah, moss I was gonna say and I love the little pieces that fall in clusters from trees, don't you? I sometimes put them around in certain houseplants, to enjoy while they last. I just picked up some a few minutes ago!

Oh, really, Jackie!  So, it's not harmful?  LOL ...duh on my part.  Glad I asked the question, so I will learn something.

2. profile image0
      Bob Bambergposted 7 years agoin reply to this

...and you'll probably find it growing more on the north side of the tree.  I tried to answer by hitting the green "answer this question" tab but nothing happened.  I tried writing a hub a week or so ago and couldn't get that going, either.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like me Bob, all I aim to do gives me a problem and I just throw up my hands much quicker than I used to! But good luck if it was important to you. Like sometimes I cannot even type in a message at FB, then half hour later I can!

4. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Bob, HP was down this afternoon, maybe why.  It took me a while to post this question, so I think they are having technical issues.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image86

I don't know a lot about it Theresa but I have just always loved those little clusters and they get little flower looking things on them. I have never had them hurt anything. Have tried to get moss grow in places outside like in rock with no luck....

6. Faith Reaper profile image83

Oh, really, Jackie ...I'll have to see if they get flowers on them.  Mine may be a different kind of growth though.  I will let you know : )

7. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jackie, years ago someone told me that to spread moss, put some in a blender with buttermilk and pour the blended moss in the spots you want it to start. Didn't try it, so I can't guarantee it, but I'd use an old blender if I did.

8. Faith Reaper profile image83

Wow, MizB, now that's interesting!  I'm sure Jackie will appreciate your tip.

9. Jackie Lynnley profile image86

Thanks MizB I will try that in summer.
      No Theresa I don't think it is a flower but is like a dot on the end and when wet especially they sparkle and so beautiful like flowers. Need to get photo of that!

10. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

MizB...You're like a walking encyclopedia with endless tidbits of this & that!!  You may be better than Google!  smile

11. Faith Reaper profile image83

Yes, Jackie, try to get a picture of that!  I would love to see that and I will take a closer look at the ones that fall to the ground here.

4. Patsybell profile image82
    Patsybellposted 7 years ago

Lichen will grow on anything that doesn't move. Lichens are a symbiotic combination of a fungus with an algae or bacterium.
    Low oxygen levels in the soil is a common cause, (Had a lot of rain?)  It does no harm to the plants, lichens are completely self supporting organisms. That green stuff is a sign that the air surrounding the tree or shrub must be pure since lichens will not grow in areas with a smoky or polluted environment.

Hi Patsy, yes, we moved to the small rural town about 8 years ago or so, and funny when I lived in the city I never saw this one trees.  So, the air must be pure up here.  Thank you for answering.  I learned something.

5. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 7 years ago

it should be the moss, just like the white patches on my plants too, bacterial infections.

I tried scrapping them off and water with milk mix with water to give more calcium

Hi peachy, thanks for the info.  Well, these are full grown trees, so not sure I could treat them all with that mixture.

6. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

There's our cute little Theresa!  I've missed you while you were off being Wife of the Year!~~~taking good care of your beloved as he healed.  What a lucky guy!  LOL,   Yes, we wives do those nice things for our precious loved ones.  I ask you, where would our hubbies and kids be if not for us?
    Well, I know that sounds kinda boasty...but it's true and I think we should tell them every day~~~every hour~~~until it's etched in their minds like concrete!!   LOL   Hope you're back now Theresa! 
    I am the ultimate WRONG person to answer green thumb questions!  Every plant I've ever had seems to wilt and wither away if I even look at it!  Trees are way outta my grasp!

Hi Darling, Paula!  What a sweet welcome back comment from you here.  My hubby did me proud because he's been telling everyone how wonderful I was while he was healing LOL.  I have missed everyone here and I do hope to get back to writing.  Hugs

2. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Awww...how sweet. UR hubby appreciates his precious wife. You R blessings to each other.  I'm glad he's better. You're a special Caregiver! I took care of my hubby after his hip surgery.  Men are spoiled, Theresa!!  But worth it! LOL Glad UR back!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Thanks, Paula ...yes, men are spoiled indeed.  LOL yes, I've come back in a grand manner with the green fungus on my trees hahaha ...

7. ewlarson546 profile image58
    ewlarson546posted 7 years ago

Looks like a moss or lichen of some sort. Send me some more pictures at ewlarson546@yahoo.com. So that I can take a closer look. Thanks for contacting me.

1. ewlarson546 profile image58
      ewlarson546posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Like your answer Demas. Although I hope that the source of the question would know what a leaf would look like. Lichens are a good to have growing on your trees, but you won't find them normally in most cities or suburbs.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hahaha ...you guys are too funny! Yes, the green growing on the trunks ...It's winter so no leaves yet except for the evergreens.

3. ewlarson546 profile image58
      ewlarson546posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dear Faith I'm glad you got a laugh. Is the green stuff fuzzy? Could you please take a close-up of the stuff we are looking at wit your cell and text me at 4199087044? So that I can have a closer look.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83

Well, I didn't get close enough to know if it is fuzzy.  You can click on my photo and enlarge it on your tablet. I think it is lichens. I live in a rural small town.

8. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 7 years ago

I understand the wisdom of everyone else's answers, but I couldn't resist mentioning the first thing that came to my mind:  leaves.  ; - )

Hahaha ...Yes, I guess I should have specified ...growing on the trunks of trees!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)