let's talk!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

I think it would really be fun to share our gardening experiences here.

I am particularly interested in native flowers and insects. Anyone want to chat a bit about that?

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I got into gardening last year.  My main interest is growing vegetables and herbs in containers.  I've also got into making my own compost, and growing the vegetables/herbs in that!  (It saves money and gives far better results.) 

The biggest kick I get is during the summer when I can pick tomatoes and salad leaves (rocket, lettuce, and baby spinach/chard) from my own back garden, and produce a healthy, tasty lunch from them with the addition of a couple of slices of ham, tuna, eggs, olives or whatever.

http://www.writeserve.com/garden2010.JPG

Pic above (taken two minutes ago) shows Welsh onion, mixed lettuce leaves, mizuna, chives, mint, oregano and thyme, with some chard just seen in the background.

1. John Yeoman profile image59
      John Yeomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those are beautiful pictures. Makes you want to frame the herbs, not eat, 'em!

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't really add to the thread, but I just have to say this is a beautiful photo, EmpressFelicity.
      It rather inspires me to want to take up gardening.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  Talking of insect species, I did take a similar pic last year that included loads of painted lady butterflies, all of which seemed to love the blooms on my chives.

From my own personal experience, I would say jump right in and get gardening assuming you've got a space to garden in, however small - it's highly rewarding.  Our back garden is tiny and I've been amazed by what I've managed to cram in.  It helps if you have an idea of what you want to achieve - my own self-imposed "brief" was "utilitarian yet nice to look at, too".

This year I'm also putting veggies in tubs in our front garden as well - it gets more sun and fewer slugs, so courgettes and beans should do better there.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92

For the past few years, my husband has found it very stylish to have paving slabs and giant bamboo plants in enormous concrete tubs. Of course, we have to spend very little time gardening, but I wonder if it can really be called a garden at all ... But I could try out your idea; put the pots and containers etc. in a secluded corner where he won't see them for a while. It would be great to serve a salad or cook vegetables I've grown myself.

1. profile image0
            Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

try it. If hubby gets fresh good food that he didn't have to work for, he will be all for it.  wink

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92

He'll probably go from one extreme to the other; pull up the slabs, ditch the tubs, and we'll have one big vegetable garden. And who will be the one to nurture it? Moi smile

I see myself swapping stilettos for gum boots ...

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

well, sorry its not exactly about native stuff, but we have had a horrid invasion of Japanese Beetles and I really want to get rid of them. Sevin dust seems to work ok, but that stuff is so nasty!!! Is there something else I can try?

4. Jule Romans profile image95

Japanese beetles are just horrid! I have found that traps work temporarily. But the risk with them is that you wind up attracting MORE Japanese beetles because of the pheromones.

Maybe someone else has an idea.  Shall we make a new tread for that discussion?

1. profile image0

I see you did. I hope somebody knows!!!  smile its bad here as they are not native AT ALL!!!! The plants have no natural defenses. I can not believe they live thru our winters!

5. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

I have some aphids on my fresh rose buds.
    Nothing alarming, just natural.
    I'm fighting them with physical means, no chemistry yet!
    I hope it'll be ok. Maybe I'll buy some lady bugs (google translation for mariquita) to eat them all so my roses will bloom at ease.
    Today I just cut some branches of lilac and wisteria.
    I swear to you, the house is smelling like spring.
    And it's so good !

1. profile image0

lady bugs will work great. I have tons all over I never see aphids.

6. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Good! Lucky you.
    Lady bugs are getting rare around here.

1. profile image0

why? we have more then ever here, nearly an epedimic? I mean, I have all winter long hundreds of lady bugs in my light fixtures... in the fall there are litteraly clouds of them flying around. Been that way for about five years now.

Thats wierd. Our bees are dieing. Some say it might be all becuase of cell phones.

7. Jule Romans profile image95

Cell phones? Really???? tell me more...

1. profile image0

hmmm...  I will have to research and come back. It was in the news a few years back. Something about bees arent finding thier way home due to als the sound interference with cell phones and the towers, wich around here are typically in large fields... Also some people thought it was due to an increase in bee mites.
      Whatever the reason, bees ARE dieing and you can see the result in the high price of produce.

8. Jule Romans profile image95

That's fascinating. I did not know  cell phones were connected. Yes, we are quite worried about the bee colonies, too. I try to plant good flowers to support bumblebees and honeybees.

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honeybees love red raspberries!
      So do I! smile

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hehehe, me too.
        But when we land on flower, consequences are other than if it were a honeybee...

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

me three big_smile

9. profile image0
    This_and_Thatposted 13 years ago

Wow! what a beautiful garden! Guess you don't have to have the typical plot of ground to grow a beautiful garden. I don't have and ground to plant in, but I do have a deck. Maybe I'll give this a try. Thank you for the nice hub! Very inspiring!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)