How to Make Money Online Writing Poetry
Make money online Writing Poetry for Greeting Cards
Make money from you poems
If, like me, you are scratching your heads about just what to do with those poetic masterpieces lazily snoozing on HP. Scratch no more, it is time to wake those suckers up, banish the Zzzs and welcome the sound of cha-ching, cha-ching!!!. That's the sound of making money.
Make money by writing greetings cards
I recently had a little wander through some local outlets selling greeting cards, and I must say, the poems I read were, to put it mildly, bland, dull and rather uninspiring. I left feeling I could do better.
And so I decided to look at the possibility of writing poems that will actually earn some money. I have been told often enough, that there is no profit in writing poems. However, I write because I enjoy writing and sharing my poems, as do most poetry writers on Hub Pages. However, while my motivation for writing poems was never about makIng money, how cool would it be, to earn money by doing something that we enjoy doing? But where to begin? I hear you ask.
Research ways to Make Money
Doing your research is a must, take a look at the greeting card market before you get started, this will save you time in the long run. You have to aim at the right genre for which you are writing. Keep your research organised, so as not to get confused with your level of contact with each publisher. You may want to create an Excel spreadsheet, (see video) with details of the addresses of publishers, their guidelines, websites, submission date and contact details.
Not only will this save you time, but it will also help you avoid embarrassment later on down the line.
A good place to begin your research is at your high street card shop, have a wander around look at the type of cards that are most popular.
Check the back of the card for publishers name, make a note of it and draw up a list of various publishers. The smaller publishers may pay less, but also have fewer competitions and are much more likely to give you the opportunity to show what you can do.
Check out niche shops, like craft stores, hotels, and restaurant gift shops, anywhere that sell greeting cards, these type of places may give you the names of the smaller publishing companies that you may not find in your high street shops.
Visit greeting cards trade fairs, this could be a good way to meet different publishers all in one place, and to get an idea of the best ones to pitch.
Mains types of greeting cards are:-
- Traditional Cards usually, metered and rhyming poetry, these are the most technical poems to write and therefore mainly done by in-house writers. ,
- for the more sentimental poetry Contemporary Prose Cards,
- Humorous Cards, this can be poems with a clever use of puns often funny poems, these types of cards are the most popular, freelance writers most often write prose cards.
Trade fairs in the UK
- Home and Gift, in Harrogate In July
- Spring Fair, Birmingham NEC. In February
- Autumn Fair, Birmingham NEC September
- Top Draw, Earls Court in January and September
- London International Card Show, Business Design Centre in May. If you live outside the UK, do a Google search in your area, to find out where the best places are to get information and start earning.
When you have completed your research, this will be the time to contact your chosen publishers. Most publishers will have their guideline on their websites, if not, write to them and request one.
Include a stamped self-addressed envelope with your request, and remember, DO NOT submit any work or ideas without first reading the submission guidelines.
It is important to follow the publishers instruction explicitly, they may request that not only do you send a self-addressed large enough envelope, with the correct amount of postage but may also ask that you keep you submission to under 100 words.
The poetry marker is competitive, bear in mind that as far as the publishers are concerned, time is money, and they receive many applications, sorting through them can be time-consuming. Most publishers will disregard those who do not follow the instructions correctly.
The E-cards market is a growing niche for greeting cards and a good way to earn money, like the other card publishers, they to have their guidelines listed on the sites, and like the others, you will need to review their content and guidelines carefully before submitting you work to start earning.
Greeting card company-:
More Make Money Hubs By Tobusiness
- Make fast and easy money onllne, Brokering
- Make Money from home to supplement your Retirement
- Make Money from your Home with Film and TV
- Make Money Online Writing Poetry
- Ways to Make Money, More Tips
- More Money Tips and Ideas: save on Utilities
- A Guide to making Money on You Tube; 10 Tips you should Know Before Publishing
- A Guide to Making money Online with You Tube; 10 more Tips
- Ways to make Money From Home
- How to make Money Mystery Shopping, Without Getting Scammed
- Making Money, Is it Programmed in the Genes?