A good start is to get a savings account at a bank that will automatically make periodic deductions for you. I have done this through ING Direct, but there are other online banks that offer this. You tell them how often and how much to deduct, and that way it is done without you having to think about it. This way you do not rationalize that you need to spend that money on something.
The best rule of thumb is to pay yourself first, and 10% of your take-home earnings is considered to be the sweet spot. If you can save more, that's even better, but having it done automatically for you will make it happen easier if you don't have the discipline required to do it yourself.
The best way (witch I've read in a book) is to do so:
put aside 10% of your monthly income for paying debts.
put aside other 10 percent for people that are poorer then you are (like homeless people).
put aside 10 percent more for building a capital to be used as an investment (in a business or products... yes, buying a new TV with this money is o.k, that's an investment to).
You may spend the other 70% on whatever you like.
I have tried this method and it gives good results. It may be difficult at first getting used to putting aside 30% of your income and only using the other 70 percent. Nothing good comes easy in life.
Just give it a try and tell me what you think.
I have a different opinion on investing than boutlife. An investment should either bring in an income or appreciate in value. Unless you are charging admission to watch your TV, it is not an investment (see http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/investment.asp ). The best way I've found to learn about saving is from those that have successfully done so for the majority of their life. Thomas J. Stanley is an author that has done a lot of credible research on the topic. Dave Ramsey and David Bach are also very good sources that explain reasonable ways to save in a way that doesn't put you to sleep. I hope this was helpful.
by S.Guru Karthik 6 years ago
Hi I'm Karthik n I've created some hubs but I havn't earned money plz can u tell me how do u earn?
by Karen Wilton 7 years ago
What is Kontera? Has anyone on HubPages earned money from them?
by yaswanthk 5 years ago
When the earned money on hubapges is paid ?Currently my earnings are $6. I don't see any option available in the site to redeem the earned money.
by Mary Contrary 6 years ago
Have you ever earned money with online surveys?
by collegedad 6 years ago
Have you earned money through RedGage?I ask this, because I've been with them for about a month now and have earned $0.17. Well that and the $25 I won the other day, which is pretty cool. If you are earning money what is the secret. Is it content, is it volume. What works for you?
by Catzgendron 6 years ago
Has anyone earned money from hubpages? How much?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|