jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best ay to save money?

1. synthasam23 profile image59
    synthasam23posted 6 years ago

What is the best ay to save money?

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 6 years ago

Automate your savings. Have part of your paycheck automatically put into a savings account or retirement account.

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

Best way is to stay out of the big box stores. If you go to a local grocery for a loaf a bread and milk, you might also buy a gallon of icecream. But so many go to the big box stores, thinking they're saving money. Instead, most of us being impulse buyers, end up spending on average $70.00 on stuff we didn't need, along with the loaf of bread and milk. So where many are thinking they're saving money, in reality they're spending thousands of dollars a year, which could have been saved. Food for thought, for those bargain shoppers.

4. RobertoPortales profile image76
    RobertoPortalesposted 6 years ago

A great way is to create a budget for yourself, in which you include savings.  Then, as tamarawilhite said, create an automatic investment plan.  I recommend using an IRA (traditional or ROTH depending on your tax situation).  By budgeting for savings, you won’t have to worry about finding money to save each month.  My hub http://robertoportales.hubpages.com/hub … e-students gives some great advice on this subject.

5. cclitgirl profile image96
    cclitgirlposted 6 years ago

Go to the library and get "Financial Peace" by Dave Ramsey.  That's where I started.  And, oh boy, I have taken it SO much further.  I make my own bread.  Grow my own food (to save AND for the unparalleled TASTE AND I know exactly where my food's been).  I buy only from Goodwill or consignment stores (you wouldn't believe how much "new" stuff there is - tags and all - for a fraction of the retail cost.  I use the "envelope system". At the beginning of the month, I take out $770 from the bank.  $400 is for groceries (for my husband and I), $300 for gas (we both commute but the trade-off is that we live in the country with acreage), and *blush* the rest is for beer and wine to have with dinner.  We try not to ever go over that.  We have a debit card, but try not to use it - if you can't see the money, it's a little easier to spend it.  If I don't have the cash, I simply don't spend it.  We got rid of our credit cards long ago. 
    Finally, I use the $1 system.  Every time I have a $1 bill in my wallet, I empty it and put it into a jar.  I don't check the jar and try not to ever use the money from it.  After a year, I check the jar and I'm always pleasantly surprised at what I've saved.  We use that for a mini-vacation somewhere.  smile
    Hope that helps.