jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are your best tips for single parents making ends meet financially these da

1. Mighty Mom profile image85
    Mighty Momposted 8 years ago

What are your best tips for single parents making ends meet financially these days?

2. profile image0
    HATEisthename76posted 8 years ago

My mother is a single parent to 5 kids. I am the oldest, at 15. Although she recieves child support from my dad, it is not enough to make that large of an impact. i am more than positive she would advise you to be a wise consumer. she will not purchase something she does not have the money for, or that will cause continuous payments, that would then lead to debt. she makes sure to save for the more expensive luxuries she desires. Also, buying things used, or for sale is huge in saving money. Buying generic brands can also be a tip. The first step in making money is saving money.

3. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 8 years ago

i think the best tips 4 single parents making ends meet financially these days is cutting out all x-tras & spending conservatively.
    i saw some lady in a thrift shop yesterday whose g-daughter wanted more than what her g-mom could afford. the lady was barely making it financially, & i saw how she had 2 confront the young girl right there in the store. she had 2 explain how important $$$ is right now. she explained 2 the girl that yes, she wants her 2 have nice things, but she couldn't afford a lot. the lady's got SS, which she must live on, & she said how her daughter would really b upset if she asked her 4 help 2 get thru the rest of the month. she said her daughter would b asking where all her $$$ went, & that she'd need 2 explain that she was spoiling her g-daughter who begs 4 everything she c's. the lady didn't want 2 resort 2 asking her daughter 4 $$$, so she confronted her g-daughter & asked her 2 stop begging 4 more

4. Pryncyss profile image54
    Pryncyssposted 8 years ago

1)Say no to plastic~It's a dreadful feeling paying monthly premiums on food you ate two months ago. Credit cards spiral out of control faster and greater than we may realize.
    2)Stick to your budget. It's tempting when you're tired and just got home from work to order out, however, you will pay more in the long run. My son and I calculated for two weeks how much we ate out and it was $200! "There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Lisa"!
    3)Communicate with your children~It's very important that children understand money. Before going to the store, I tell my son what I'm going to buy and this trip will not include any toys, etc. I set his expectations so he knows he is coming home with groceries and not extras.

Closed to reply

working