jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What tips do you have for single parents juggling everything?

1. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

What tips do you have for single parents juggling everything?

With 50% of marriages ending in divorce, there are a lot of single parents juggling work, kids school, sports, social activities, cooking, cleaning, life...  how do you find balance, when you are responsible for it all?

2. creativebutterfly profile image59
    creativebutterflyposted 6 years ago

it is a challenge.   Keep yourself a schedule and action list, one for the kids too so everyone knows what they are doing.   This helps with the chores and gives the kids a sense of helping out and you all becoming a team.

Relax and take time for yourself also so you do not get too stressed out.   Easy to say i know but some time for yourself even 20 mins will give you that rev up that you need.

Remember your support group and don't be afraid to ask for help.  You are not alone.

3. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

Good advice - that 'asking for help' part is hard for me.  I assume everyone is as crazy busy as I am.

4. Ri Masincupp profile image74
    Ri Masincuppposted 6 years ago

I agree, definitely keep a schedule.  Maybe a big white board with dry erase markers that is in sections that shows a calendar of all the activities and all the chores.  Everyone helps and no one is left behind.  Don't over extend yourself or the kids.  Keep priorities in order.  Sitting together at dinner can be more important than that phone call that needs to be returned.

5. delaneyworld profile image80
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

It is definitely not easy being a single parent.  I make a concerted effort not to get caught up in the small stuff.  Some days you feel like you are being pulled in a thousand different directions.  Take time each day just to sit with your kids and talk.  You might find dinner time to be a great time for this.  Maybe it's bed time, even if they are teens.  Sit with them in their room and just chat for a while.

If I am ever faced with the choice of doing the dishes, cleaning the house or just being with my daughter - my daughter wins every time.  The dishes and house can wait.  My daughter is growing up so fast.  I try not to get caught up in fitting everything in and focus on the quality of time I spend with her. 

When I find myself running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off, I sit for a moment and say out loud, "This is MY life.  MY life.  I am in control of it."  This helps me to refocus and release some of the stress. 

I also make a list each night at bedtime of what I need to do the next day.  I write everything down in order of priority.  If something does not get done, it just doesn't.  I recognize that the world will not end if I don't put away the laundry or cook the perfect meal. 

Shortcuts such as frozen meals are grand.  I also keep a lot of fresh fruit and veggies on hand.  Healthy eating is easy when we stick to all natural products.  Most of them are also portable and perfect for on the go.  I feel better knowing that even if I don't cook, my daughter is getting the nutrition she needs. 

As a single parent I feel I don't need to be perfect, just be perfectly happy and live in the moment with my daughter.  smile  Cheers to all my fellow single parents!

working