jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

If you found a lot of money would you keep it or hand it in to the police?

1. Jennifer Ann profile image58
    Jennifer Annposted 7 years ago

If you found a lot of money would you keep it or hand it in to the police?

Morally of course we should hand in the money but ... what if you were really broke, child was sick and you came across a bag full of money (we'll assume not traceable) would you thank God for providing and use the money or would you hand it in to the authorities ?

2. Emissionguy profile image84
    Emissionguyposted 7 years ago

It has happened to me and I turned it in to the bank manager. I lost money once and it was returned to me so thats good karma.

3. profile image0
    Always Greenerposted 7 years ago

I would hand it in to the police.  There was a recent case in Australia where a couple found I think 10 grand in a suitcase (in the liner) in an op-shop.  The money and case actually belonged to a pensioner, whose husband had accidentally given the suitcase to the op-shop.  I believe the couple were charged with some sort of offence -because they didn't hand it in initially.

Alternately, the money could be part of a criminal investigation.  You don't want to be involved with that.  I'd suggest handing it in, but state your current circumstances to the police and maybe they can give you a small cash reward to help you.

4. bjspivey-rivers profile image73
    bjspivey-riversposted 7 years ago

I would turn it in.  I have lost money and I suppose people found it and kept it but I would have appreciated getting it back.  So if I found some i would give it back and if that was not possible, turn it in.

5. Royalmark profile image61
    Royalmarkposted 7 years ago

Certainly, I will definitely return the money to the owner if I happen to come across him/her by chance or if I don't see him/her, I'll turn the money in to the authorities although it's a pretty hard decision to make...

6. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Nearly all would be tempted to keep it.   But would it bring what you wanted?   Money really represents 'security' to most people.  I have a brother-in-law who, way back in the 1960s found a fairly large sum of money in a suitcase in a park.   It was obviously planted there to be picked up.   He kept it.  He then spent weeks worrying about somebody calling around in the middle of the night to perhaps beat him to a pulp as they demanded the money's return.   He certainly gained no sense of 'security' from it.

Let your heart guide you rather than your head.  Whatever the decision made, it will be the right one.

working