jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Unsafe or not?

1. Syrusv37 profile image86
    Syrusv37posted 7 years ago

Unsafe or not?

After receiving a notice in the mail about a denial for a credit card I did not apply for, I decided to request a free credit report online. However, now I'm a little wary, because this is the first time I've ever requested a credit report. Is it unsafe to request a free credit report online and will it be easier for people to steal my identity now? Any help would be appreciated.

2. brittanygc profile image70
    brittanygcposted 7 years ago

You can request a free credit report once a year from the 3 major credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion. I get mine each year and have had no problems, they are secure websites. I usually check with all 3 since there are things that will show on some that don't show on others. And it would be a good idea for you to check so you could dispute anything on there that is not from you and could be fraud, especially since each time credit is applied for it can bring your score down.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I'd be more concerned with not applying for a specific credit card and the receiving a refusal.  Is someone trying to get a credit card in your name?  Contact the cc company, thanking them for their recent letter and ask for details of the application because you haven't made one.

4. Azockie profile image58
    Azockieposted 7 years ago

You should be okay! You should use FreeCreditReport.com They are very legal and very real!