i get reimbursed by my company .40 per mile. i drove 10,000 miles for work not

1. profile image48
    mdrossposted 7 years ago

i get reimbursed by my company .40 per mile.  i drove 10,000 miles for work not including...

commute distance which is $1,000 (.10x10,000).  this is LESS than 2% of my AGI so according to sched A i CANT deduct the $1,000?  is this correct?

2. TaxNerd profile image82
    TaxNerdposted 7 years ago

Expenses reimbursed by your employer aren't deductible on your tax return. Also, commuting expenses cannot be written off. That said, if your employer reimbursed you 40 cents per mile, that's a dime less than the IRS allowance of 50 cents per (see http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, … 48,00.html). BUT, 10 cents times 10,000 is $100. It's highly unlikey that $100 exceeds 2 percent of your AGI, but maybe you could include it with other unreimbursed business expenses and qualified miscellaneous expenses. Just be sure to have proper documentation.

3. profile image48
    mdrossposted 7 years ago

ummm......thanks tax NERD....i must have MISSED that day in MATH class when we were doing our "goes in to's"  OR maybe i have a DEFECTIVE calculator but ten cents times 10,000 still comes up as 1,000 on my abacus.....maybe you should stick to journalism....and forget the tax advise.

working