jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you think Social Security will be around when your grandkids retire?

1. PR Morgan profile image61
    PR Morganposted 7 years ago

Do you think Social Security will be around when your grandkids retire?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4753542_f260.jpg

2. Genna East profile image90
    Genna Eastposted 7 years ago

No.  Actually, I doubt social security will still be around when my son retires.  I don't oppose social security at all.  However, we are in such huge debit as nation and it is very troubling that our nation's leaders have yet to initiate any clear answers to this problem for many years.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

No, I don't think it will.  This country is in huge trouble economically and at some point they will start to remove these programs.  Just think if all of the politicians in Washington DC took  a pay cut--we could fund lots of great things.

4. vashal profile image65
    vashalposted 7 years ago

I think it will be around in some form. I'm young enough that I don't think I'll see the same benefits as my parents, but I'm sure the system will be around in one form or another.

5. profile image0
    ellie.wposted 7 years ago

I actually think it will still be around...We'll just be receiving pennies worth of benefits.  At the current rate, the system won't be able to support the retiring population--but everyone will oppose getting rid of it because they want to see their benefits, having paid in.  So we'll just be splitting a smaller pot of money with a huge number of retirees, but it will still be there.

6. capncrunch profile image76
    capncrunchposted 7 years ago

I don't believe it will be around when I retire.  That's ok.  I will continue to write during my retirement.

7. platinumOwl4 profile image75
    platinumOwl4posted 7 years ago

The economy we have today constantly indicates that social security is not secure.

8. profile image0
    Sierra Mackenzieposted 7 years ago

I think it will be around a long time.  They are raising the age for retirement, so fewer people will live long enough to collect.  I am able to retire at the age of 65, yet my youngest son cannot retire until he is 75.  Companies lay-off older workers, so if that worker is unable to collect social security, he will have to find some form of income such as a Greeter at WalMart.

9. wiseoldaccountant profile image80
    wiseoldaccountantposted 6 years ago

Yes, but retirement age will be higher and benefits will be less. Please see;

http://wiseoldaccountant.hubpages.com/h … nzi-Scheme

working