jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you believe it is important to have a credit card?

1. callmefoxxy profile image84
    callmefoxxyposted 6 years ago

Do you believe it is important to have a credit card?

2. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

Not at all. I have not had one in years. Being debt free is an incredible freedom!

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I believe if you want to build credit, as some point you will have to borrow money to buy a car or have a credit card.  But be judicious with the credit card.  Buy something and deliberately pay it off on time, monthly to build credit.

If credit can be build without the card, I say do it without a card  As Hyphenbird says, being debt free is a wonderful feeling.  I worked at it for over a year and got everything but the house paid off and it feels good.

4. barbergirl28 profile image78
    barbergirl28posted 6 years ago

I think having a credit card is helpful. I don't have one... but I do want to get one. Main reason - I travel. Last August when we traveled to visit family, we needed a rental car and we couldn't get one without a credit card even though our debit cards had enough money on them. There are some things that a credit card is just needed for. Although, they can be dangerous if you aren't wise about them!

5. DonDWest profile image61
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, Keynesian economics dictates you must have a credit card, and at the very least occasionally use it, so you don't have a low credit rating/score or "no credit history". Having a low credit rating/score or "no score" here in Canada can be a real pain. They don't care about your savings account, it's literally impossible to get on any payment plan. From buying cable services to buying an automobile, etc.

I'm using this silly Mastercard now to alleviate this problem and I hate it, just hate it. I lose so much money each purchase in fees.

6. profile image48
    Timeftposted 6 years ago

A credit card can be helpful in making reservations for cars, hotels, airline ticket, but many times a debit card can do the same thing. A credit card, if used wisely, can increase you credit score and cut the percentage on the next car loan or house loan you get.
    Realize a credit card is a debt waiting to happen. Be ready to pay it off before you use it.

7. ArtVandelay66 profile image90
    ArtVandelay66posted 6 years ago

A credit card is often a necessity to establishing credit, which is needed to get loans for things like a car or house.  Additionally, credit cards make online purchases much easier and are often required for some types of purchases.

8. LittlePayday profile image59
    LittlePaydayposted 6 years ago

I agree with Timeft - using credit cards for reservations is helpful.
    Also, whenever you order products online it is usually better, and safer, to do it with a credit card.

9. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 6 years ago

It is good to have a credit card to raise your credit. Even if you have a credit card it is still better to try and pay with cash.
    Check out this hub if you would like.

http://hubpages.com/hub/goodcreditspend … tsdebtfree

rorshak sobchak

10. PeterinCanada profile image54
    PeterinCanadaposted 6 years ago

Yes sometimes, for Online Purchases, Emergencies and Large Purchases.

working