Have you ever been a member of an investment club? If so, what was your experien

1. Danette Watt profile image85
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

Have you ever been a member of an investment club? If so, what was your experience?

I've been in two different investment clubs (both just for women). One experience was pretty negative but the other one was very positive.

2. Joe Bagori profile image57
    Joe Bagoriposted 7 years ago

I have maintained my own accounts and talked with friends about what might be a good idea, but I stayed away from joining a group, since like a business it can be hard for partners to agree, then hard feelings develop.

3. Danette Watt profile image85
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

I joined the groups as a way to learn about investing and stocks. Both were modeled after the Beardstown Ladies Investment Group in IL.

The first group started out fine but then became dominated by just a few women who didn't want to learn about the companies,  they just would come to the meeting and would want to follow a tip. That negated the educational part of the model. The second group I was in was much more positive, we learned about the companies before we invested in them and so on. We got along fine but disbanded after several years. When some of us had to move out of the area (military families), the rest of us didn't have the energy to try to recruit more members.

Overall, they were good learning experiences for me.

working