jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are you favorite frugal activities?

1. MemphisYankee profile image60
    MemphisYankeeposted 6 years ago

What are you favorite frugal activities?

My dear boyfriend is not as frugal as I am and we struggle to find things to do together that don't involve spending money.  I am content playing on HubPages or going to a park, but he would rather be eating out or shopping.  Any suggestions for what we can do together?

2. Millionaire Tips profile image94
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

You could pack a picnic and eat at a park.  Maybe finding activities to do at a park - like playing frisbee, bird watching, hiking or digital photography, can make him more interested in going to a park.  You could find coupons so you can eat out.  Window shopping can be fun - just keep your credit card and cash at home.  Try shopping at thrift stores.  Try to develop an interest in something as a couple -.like a craft or hobby.

3. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

If he likes shopping, shopping at thrift stores can be really fun. You can really find some treasures. Same with flea markets. While these can have some high dollar antiques, they also have a variety of interesting items (much more interesting than department stores!) at different prices.

Does he like eating out because of good food? or just the experience? Have you tried cooking meals together? That could be fun as you try different recipes. I actually find good home cooked meals are usually much better than what you find at a restaurant...at a fraction of the cost!

4. findawayormakeone profile image69
    findawayormakeoneposted 6 years ago

Why don't you try cooking at home together? He can be your sous-chef. Or, if he's more into taking the lead, he can wear the chef's hat.

5. nybride710 profile image60
    nybride710posted 6 years ago

I actually wrote an entire hub about this but I don't think I am allowed to post the link here.  It is How to Get Away with Being a Cheap Date.  I also think MT's tips are very good.

6. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 6 years ago

I like going for hikes and bike rides.  In the summer I bike to provincial parks and go to the beach.  Where I live you get in free if you bike or walk into the park.  When it is colder I do a lot of hiking in the woods.  You could try exploring new places or do new things like rollerblading.

Photography or making videos can be a fun hobby.  It gives you a reason to see and do new things.  I would recommend you think of a good hobby that you can do together.

7. Ahnoosh profile image78
    Ahnooshposted 6 years ago

Our favorite "cheap date" is going to the bookstore.  We have a large Barnes & Noble about 10 miles from our home.  We'll have dinner at home but plan on going to the bookstore afterward.  We'll splurge for a cup of coffee at the Starbucks in the bookstore and we'll each go to our favorite sections to read or browse through the magazines.  I usually take my notepad and jot down names of books i'd like to read, and we very rarely buy anything (except the coffee).  After the bookstore we usually walk around window shopping.  If we didn't get coffee in the bookstore, we might pick up some frozen yogurt on the way home.