jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

1. LoriSoard profile image74
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

FAFSA Tips?

Getting ready to file taxes and the FAFSA for my daughter, who heads to college in the fall. I think we probably won't get much aid if any, but wondering if anyone had tips on this? Thanks.

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Whats' FAFSA?

3. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

You may be surprised. I qualified for a lot more aid than I expected. Also, there is another federal aid program. Ask your daughter's college about it. And your daughter may me eligible for state grants, especially if she gets approved for FAFSA. She will also be eligible for stafford loans and can use the FAFSA to help with bills.

4. LoriSoard profile image74
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

Thanks cobrien. That's good to know. Mick, FAFSA is a form you fill out and submit to your college each year. They look at parents' income, child's income and make a decision on whether you qualify for grants and aid. Hoping we qualify for at least a little. She's been offered a $7000 scholarship, which will cover about 1/3 of the cost of this school. Just hoping we can get the costs down to a reasonable amount so she can go where she wants.

5. keithlipke profile image60
    keithlipkeposted 6 years ago

I would file as soon as you get all your tax forms...w-2' 1099's, etc. FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Go to fafsa.gov and at least create a pin number and have her start to fill out the forms. It's not that difficult and usually the earlier the better. Go to www.thecareercloset.com for actual dates due by state.