jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Is the daughter of my brother in law my niece in law?

1. Missing Link profile image82
    Missing Linkposted 2 years ago

Is the daughter of my brother in law my niece in law?

I get confused when I get into family connections.  I'm thinking the daughter of my brother in law is my niece in law?  Is this correct?  Thank you!

2. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Yes, that's correct. Your brother-in-law's daughter is your niece-in-law.

Missing Linkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Lisa!

3. cperuzzi profile image97
    cperuzziposted 2 years ago

It all depends on how attached you are to your brother-in-law. 

The daughter will no doubt call you "Uncle" so in so (or "Aunt" whatever).  You really aren't anything related by blood, obviously.  You can either call her your brother-in-law's daughter or say "niece" on my wife's side. 

If you're talking to the child and she asks - just say that she's your niece to keep things simple.

Thanks Christopher!

4. liesl5858 profile image89
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

The daughter of your brother-in-law is your niece not niece-in-law. I have not heard of a niece-in-law yet. I only know sister-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law and brother-in-law.

Thanks Linda!

5. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Missing Link......Your question has thrown me for a loop.  Quite simply, a "brother-in-law" is either the man married to your sister......OR  is your wife's brother.....OR the man married to your wife's sister. 
    Stop and THINK about this.
    In any of the cases I've mentioned.....this couple's daughter would clearly be your NIECE!  Period.....not your niece-in-law!!  She's your niece BY BIRTH via blood siblings to either you or your wife.  Get it?

The only female who might be referred to as a niece-in-law, would be a woman who married your blood nephew.......

Put another way:  My biological SISTER has 2 sons.  They are my nephews and they are married.  I could technically refer to their wives as my nieces-in-law.....but to be honest, I would tend to refer to each as "my nephew's wife."   

You're giving yourself a headache by complicating simple family connections.  LOL

Thanks Paula!

working