jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can one survive living in a materialistic society without giving into its te

1. vparker profile image60
    vparkerposted 5 years ago

How can one survive living in a materialistic society without giving into its temptations?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

just don't give in. i'm not rich but i guess i'm wealthy by some standards but if you met me you would never know it. i don't drive fancy vehicles, wear fancy clothes etc. me and my family enjoy things that aren't in the public eye like vacations and things that make life relaxing. my kids don't get the best phones, in fact only my 17 year old has a phone. we just spend money on things we enjoy without caring what the latest trend is.

3. Chris Achilleos profile image80
    Chris Achilleosposted 5 years ago

Firstly, of course one can survive smile don't base your happiness on materialistic things. Materials do not bring happiness. Find and do things you love, spend time with people who you love and people you enjoy hanging out with, read about true happiness and love. Fill your hours with things you enjoy doing. True happiness is found within.

4. spartucusjones profile image93
    spartucusjonesposted 5 years ago

The secret is contentment. Be content with what you have. If you are content you are not going to base your happiness on owning the latest gadgets. This will serve as a protection because you are not going to be tempted to live beyond your means.

Also before I make any purchases I ask the following questions: Do I need it? Can I afford it? Why is it that I want this item? These questions usually keep me in check.