How long could you live without your grocery stores?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. sooner than later profile image59
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

when the next global catastrophe occurs we will encounter mass starvation. While you sit and eat dinner consider this, America has become so dependent upon fuel and towns no longer make their own food.

How long could your town survive without crocery stores? Mine would make it less than 2 weeks.

I don't want to get all "conspiracy like" on the possibilities here, but some major things have happened to our ability to survive in the last 100 years.

heck I don't even know how to field dress a deer.

where do you stand.

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At our house we have about 4 weeks of supplies put up just for an emergency like that.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I have a gun and the people behind me have a whole bunch of cows.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha!!! lol

how long could we survive? especially those of us in urban areas?

not too long, i fear...

1. LEFT HAND OF GOD profile image59
        LEFT HAND OF GODposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love has no fear.

1. profile image0

hmm.

i'll study on that for a while.

i'm not worried either...not even concerned, really. but this does make me reflect on how quickly the social veneer crumbles. then again, maybe most people would rise up and help their fellow man. this all reminds me of a book i read once:

From "Farnham's Freehold":

"They had lived through the missles, they lived through the bombs, they lived through the fires, they lived through the epidemics - which were not extreme and may not have been weapons; both sides disclaimed them - and they lived through the long period of disorders while civil government writhed like a snake with a broken back. They lived. They went on.

Their sign reads:

FARNHAM'S FREEHOLD
          TRADING POST & RESTAURANT BAR

American Vodka
          Corn liquor
          Applejack
          Pure Spring Water
          Grade "A" Milk
          Corned Beef & Potatoes
          Steak & Fried Potatoes
          Butter & some days Bread
          Smoked Bear Meat
          Crepes Suzettes to order.
          !!!Any BOOK Accepted as Cash!!!
          DAY NURSERY
          !!!FREE KITTENS!!!
          Blacksmithing, Machine Shop, Sheet Metal Work-You Supply The Metal
          FARNHAM SCHOOL OF CONTRACT BRIDGE
          Lessons by Arrangement
          Social Evening Every Wednesday
          WARNING!!!
          Ring Bell. Wait. Advance with your Hands Up. Stay on path, avoid mines. We lost three customers last week. We can't afford to lose YOU. No sales tax.
              Hugh and Barbara Farnham & Family
                       Freeholders

High above their sign their homemade starry flag is flying high - and they are *still* going on.

3. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Deers are rampant here smile

4. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

If I look out my back window, there are more than enough geese for our entire town, enough deer, and soon the turkeys should arrive. big_smile

5. sooner than later profile image59

now lets suppose the other 60+ thousand(my towns size) are hunting the animals you see?

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah, half of them are vegans, another half are green lol

1. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha - LOL!

6. sooner than later profile image59

Really, how dependant are we on fuel and crocery stores? Its amazing. I could see my super walmart cleared in one day.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I actually have seen stores cleared in a day. In 1998 I was moved to Miami (corporate relocation). Hurricane season was soon upon us, and very quickly, a massive hurricane was building and heading towards the south Florida coast. The news said it would bring "catastrophic devastation" and would be worse than Hurricane Andrew (which it turned out not to be).

Miami went nuts. There were 3+ hour waits at the gas stations to get gas, and the Miami-Dade police were at all of them. Complete aisles of canned goods, bottled water/drinks were GONE at the local Winn Dixies and Publix! I made my way to BJ's (or CostCo or Sam's) in northern Miami and found what turned out to be their last case of bottled water. I literally had people trying to grab it out of my cart as I headed for the checkout.

So in all of the blizzards, earthquakes, hurricanes and wars I've lived through, I've only seen that stuff happen once. So am I too worried about things? No.

sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am more interested in the dependency upon fuel. A disruption of that would cause chaos.

Nuh uh. I have friends who were in the middle of Katrina. Fuel meant nothing. There was no space on the roads! They happened to be visitors sending their son off to Tulane. There were no rental cars, cabs, nothing to get them out of town. I told them to get onto the roadside and put their thumbs up. They did and they got a ride. Fuel wasn't the biggest issue.

7. LEFT HAND OF GOD profile image59
    LEFT HAND OF GODposted 14 years ago

I know Someone who can provide for me endlessly, so I do not concern myself with it.

I have always had stock on hand for a month and when it runs out, I will be provided for, no big deal. big_smile

The multiplication of physical things is not hard.

ahh, thats how I would survive as well. In fact- let me ask you, do you feel storing massive amounts of food is lack of faith?

I do.

Get what you can and can what you get.
        If you have room for it, go ahead. If you are forced out of your house though, it matters not. It is wise to be like the ant says proverbs.

Those that gathered manna for the next day, found that it was taken by worms. God was looking for discipline when he told them to only gather bread for that day.

next- Matthew 14:30 But when he [Peter] saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
          Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Jesus also explained that our life is worth more than that of a bird and he feeds the birds.

You have to remember who led them into the place where they could not provide food for themselves or farm.
            So if we find ourselves in that place I know what will happen too.
            You have to be wise and then if GOD wants you to leave it all behind, then go on!!!

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We have a water and food storage system and we have guns.

9. LEFT HAND OF GOD profile image59

Jesus fed all of those people with the fish and bread because they were away from home.

10. LEFT HAND OF GOD profile image59

He is what I stand on:

Psa 91:1        Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
    Psa 91:2       This I declare of the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him.
    Psa 91:3       For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from the fatal plague.
    Psa 91:4       He will shield you with his wings. He will shelter you with his feathers. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
    Psa 91:5       Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor fear the dangers of the day,
    Psa 91:6       nor dread the plague that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
    Psa 91:7       Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you.
    Psa 91:8       But you will see it with your eyes; you will see how the wicked are punished.
    Psa 91:9       If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter,
    Psa 91:10       no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your dwelling.
    Psa 91:11       For he orders his angels to protect you wherever you go.
    Psa 91:12       They will hold you with their hands to keep you from striking your foot on a stone.
    Psa 91:13       You will trample down lions and poisonous snakes; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!
    Psa 91:14       The Lord says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name.
    Psa 91:15       When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue them and honor them.
    Psa 91:16       I will satisfy them with a long life and give them my salvation."

You are kidding, right? It's late here and I'm tired, so excuse me if I'm missing some irony. And if not, then WTF is your problem? Don't you belong in some fanatic....er....I mean 'religion' forum somewhere?

11. dohn121 profile image79
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Hey guys!  Don't fret!  Watch and learn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6kv_eGSGZ4

big_smile

1. profile image0

smile and on that note i will say goodnight.

p.s. love those Soggy Bottom Boys!

1. dohn121 profile image79
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too!  Oh Brother, Where Art Thou is a classic!

12. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

someone push me out the door. every time i get set to leave something else catches my eye smile

13. atomswifey profile image58
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

growing up in Michigan and back and forth from southern california I had the best of both worlds. Living the casual life in CA and the hunting,(though I flunked the first hunters exam on purpose in protest for Bambi!) lol seriously I did that. smile Then I was told if I did that again I'd fail the whole class it was being taught in so I passed it. but I digress... fishing, boating, farming, gardening life in the other. Plus, My hubby's nickname is "Mcgyver" so I think we'd be ok.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)