jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to invest money if you are just starting out?

1. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to invest money if you are just starting out?

2. profile image0
    ghiblipgposted 5 years ago

Well, it would be an unit trust from a trusted or good historical record company. Although they charge you with initial fee, there is an expert fund manager help you to manager your fund. Go for long term like 3 to 5 years. Only invest with your spare money. Average further (buy more units) if the price goes down 15%-20% each time.

If you had done some fundamental and technical studies. Go for stock markets, it goes up faster. Same the other way round. You need to access your risk profile prior to investment.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

Always start with tax qualified plans first.  The power of compunding money on a tax deferred or tax free basis is very powerful.  Start with your employer plan first.  If you don't have one than begin with an IRA.  If you have less than 50k to invest, your best bet is an asset allocation fund with a growth allocaton.

4. dennis.cherenkov profile image72
    dennis.cherenkovposted 5 years ago

If your are just starting out, the best way and the best place to invest is in your education first.  I am an investment adviser and I have clients ranging from millionaire businessmen to college students.  I highly recommend good mutual funds as the way to go, but even then you have to be fundamentally ready and be in the right mindset.  I highly recommend Dave Ramsey's work and his Financial Peace University course to ALL of my clients and friends.

Before starting the long-term investing and building wealth game you need to be out of debt and have a solid 3 to 6 months of expenses saved up in an emergency fund. That is super important.  Because what happens if you are laid off and don't have reserves saved up, especially if you are in debt with lots of payments coming due every month? You will probably have to sell your investments, possibly at a deep loss, to cover short term setbacks. You don't want to be in that position.  Having a truly solid financial foundation will put you in the right mindset to build wealth long term, debt usually forces people to have to make more risky decisions and lose in the end.