Would you invest in today's' market?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Many folk are worried about the stock markets now and won't invest. is this making matters worse? or is it the best time to invest?

1. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I prolly wont ever invest as to me its like gambling and I cant afford to loose money....

2. rahulbd92 profile image61
      rahulbd92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't wanna invest now

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let's see how the asteroid does first...

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

it depends on what a person invests in and why, diversity etc....some (like me) are also thinking about investing in property instead - looking at it from the long term perspective and letting past investments (stocks, bonds) 'sit' for the long term

i'm also looking at really really conservative areas of investment where i shouldn't loose the prin. - the interest is not the best, but better than nothing (not stocks)

Property I would invest in.....

2. MikeRaymond92 profile image58
      MikeRaymond92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now is a great time to invest in property. The market always dips, but always makes a comeback. It's a circle.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I invested in property 5 years ago and the prices are still falling..
    sad

My 5 bedroom home cost me 15,000 and my house payment is only 130 a month....

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

a great for you...
        i bought an auction house and some land..no one has the money and houses are being auctioned at lower and lower prices so the overall market is dropping...

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is amazing!
        A 5 bedroom house here is worth $600,000 upwards, with anything well positioned worth over a million! smile

4. Deborah-Diane profile image81
    Deborah-Dianeposted 12 years ago

It is so difficult to guess when the markets have hit bottom and both houses prices and stocks will begin to go up again.  However, I hope we do get some signs that the economy is turning around again, at least by next year!

5. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 12 years ago

smart investors make more money in a down market than an up market. They go down faster than they go up

6. AOkay12 profile image60
    AOkay12posted 12 years ago

I would still invest.  This is a good time to load up on great stocks, which might be lower priced due to economic conditions.  I feel more comfortable investing in companies that have minimal debt and consistent increases in earnings. As long as you do thorough research, then you have a better chance of coming out ahead in the stock market.  I don't buy mutual funds anymore, because they are too complex to do good research on and I never made any money with them.  I am the type of investor that likes to buy and hold for the long term.

7. jamesrk profile image54
    jamesrkposted 12 years ago

Real estate is always a good investment. But, you make your money when you purchase, not when you sell. Therefore, you must always do your homework when considering a purchase to be sure you are not paying more than market value. The downturn in our economy of course affected prices but that happens; and in most cases that will eventually correct itself (though certainly not overnight). Rental property specifically could be a good investment because people have to live somewhere, and now especially because (unfortunately) many have lost their homes. But again, be sure to run the numbers carefully when looking at rental property and don't make a purchase unless it makes sound financial sense.

1. profile image49
      ciscobuyerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

James-  What are you seeing in the your local market?  (Salem Oregon).  I have been looking at some of the smaller apartment complexes (30 doors and under)  I know the house rental market is really good right now- I think it is because so many people are out of the homes (foreclosure) but want to rent homes at the same level/quality.  Chris nwr

8. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 12 years ago

people will invest in the stock market when they see it continually going up. Just like the real estate boom in 2005 to 2007. But are you telling me you will miss the social media stocks.

9. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 12 years ago

If you have money you have to put it somewhere.

At least stocks are an ownership instrument.

What happens if the dollar collapses and your money is in the bank.
    What happens if Bonds collapse?

What can you "safely" invest in.  Nothing.

All money is debt, so money has only perceived value.

Stocks are only going to maintain value in essential industries... energy, food, infrastructure.

All investing is risk, and with the worlds population slaves to Central Banks nothing is safe.

You can buy Gold or Silver, then try and protect it.  But when the dollar collapses what will it be worth?

10. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

Fixed annuities - with a guarantee minimun interest rate - are a SAFE investment in my opinion. You can open a Roth IRA Annuity, let it earn interest for 7 yrs, then roll it into another "safe" investment for your Roth IRA.

11. funkystock profile image61
    funkystockposted 12 years ago

Covered call options month to month give you downside protection in the market as well as a revenue stream.  Because they roll every 4 weeks it limits your long term exposure to the market. If you research the right ones you can have as much as 8 to 10% downside protection on your securities.  If you are not familiar with this tactic it is definately worth the research.

12. Julester profile image37
    Julesterposted 12 years ago

Going to keep mine in cash for a while. Markets too unstable for me at the moment.

13. RobertoPortales profile image60
    RobertoPortalesposted 12 years ago

It’s all but impossible to predict the stock market, so I don’t think that there are “good” and “bad” times to invest.  Instead, you should cost-dollar average by investing the same amount every month.  That means that when stocks are down (and cheap), you will buy more shares, and when stocks are up (and expensive), you will buy less shares.  By using this strategy you will “diversify over time,” and subsequently lower your overall risk.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)