jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Can you open a US bank account from outside of the United States?

1. Wesley Meacham profile image92
    Wesley Meachamposted 5 years ago

Can you open a US bank account from outside of the United States?

I closed my bank account shortly after leaving the US because at the time I did not need it. However I recently had to begin paying on my student loans. This would be easier if I still had a bank account in the US. (Hindsight is 20/20, right?) So I need to find out if it is possible to open an account with a US bank without physically being in the US and without having to link that account to one you already have (Banks like ING Direct allows you to open an account online but you need to link it to a US account you already have).

2. MortgageGuy profile image60
    MortgageGuyposted 5 years ago

Sure. You do not have to be physically in the branch. But you will need a tax ID since you are not likely to have SSN. Go to http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art … 67,00.html for information on how to obtain one. Good luck!

Wesley Meachamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm not likely to have an SSN? You must not have read my whole question. I have an SSN. I was born in Florida, dude. Expat here, not alien.

2. MortgageGuy profile image60
      MortgageGuyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your fine then. Keep in mind that if you deposit $10k or more then the bank reports it to IRS.

3. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

When I first got to Thailand, I was able to open a bank account at Citibank.  The catch was that I needed to deposit at least $1,000 in an account.

Wesley Meachamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul.

2. LaThing profile image72
      LaThingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wesley, if you have the means to call the banks directly (Skype, or others) call them and find out. Some banks will allow, and some like in our state, CT, will not allow it. You have to be present there.

working