jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are some items that you would not purchase from a thrift store or yard sale

1. CraftingTime profile image73
    CraftingTimeposted 5 years ago

What are some items that you would not purchase from a thrift store or yard sale?

2. Sethughes profile image94
    Sethughesposted 5 years ago

I think personal care products are a turn off for a lot of people. I personally wouldn't buy products related to food preparation. There are some things (like coffee makers or toasters) that I like to clean properly. Many people dont. So buying them from a thrift store or yard sale is something I probably wouldn't do.

3. backporchstories profile image79
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I am a big thrift store shopper.  One of my rules of thumb is to never buy hats.  Lice can spread easily and are undetected in the folds of a hat.  Then there is the obvious...used underwear.  No explanation needed on that one!

4. JBrumett profile image61
    JBrumettposted 5 years ago

Badgers, I definitely wouldn't buy badgers.  =-P

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Very personal items, partially filled bottles of perfume or something like that. Undergarments, shoes, sheets, etc. anything like that would have to be sanitized. I guess mostly I WOULD buy books, or picture frames, little things like that.

6. amb1jer profile image60
    amb1jerposted 5 years ago

I think shoes, you can't really wash them properly.

7. dejacobsen99 profile image56
    dejacobsen99posted 5 years ago

Check out rummagesalesite.com/static/yardsale_dont.html - this is an article on what not to buy at a yard sale

8. Hugh Morrison profile image73
    Hugh Morrisonposted 4 years ago

My rule is only buy things that can be easily laundered, dry cleaned or steam cleaned. Even so, I wouldn't buy used socks or underwear however much they were washed; there's really no need as new is not expensive.

I definitely wouldn't buy shoes or hats unless they showed absolutely no signs of wear inside or out and were a serious bargain; I would still steam clean them anyway.

working