jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

What is the best second hand shop or thrift store in your area?

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

What is the best second hand shop or thrift store in your area?

I live in Illinois. I know a lot of attention is given to Goodwill and Salvation Army stores and I'm happy to support them, but they have really gotten more expensive.  There are a couple of "mom and pop" thrift stores here that are much better for kids clothes.  I'm not buying brand new jeans for a kid who grows like a weed smile There are also consignment shops that are reasonable here and the clothes are in better condition.   For home improvement stuff I adore the Re-Stores by Habitat for Humanity - very affordable. What second hand or thrift stores are the best in your area?

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

We have a great place here ran by Mennonites that is amazingly cheap!! Cute kids jeans in great shape for $2. Under age 5 clothes usually $1 each. They also sell all of the home improvement type stuff. Last time I was in there they had a 13 ft piece of granite counter top for $50! I love the place.  Other than that place all we have is Goodwill, which prices USED jeans at $7-$8. I can get jeans new for that much on sale.

ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

that sounds like a cool place for sure! Goodwill here is 7 bucks for used jeans - often not in great condition - seriously? no.  I definitely prefer the family owned or consignment on young kids clothes. My teen is getting hard to shop for though.

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Do y'all have a Plato's Closet there? They sell used in style "teen" clothing super cheap. I get some of my clothes there and jeans and tops are on clearance often for $3-$5! Just a thought if y'all have them.

3. ChristinS profile image96

I haven't heard of that one, I'll look and see if we do though for sure.  thanks smile

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I frequently visit a thrift store in my town to scrounge through the CDs. The store benefits a local women's charity. It's located in a former church building that's extremely run down...it's dank, cramped and smells like feet on hot days but I keep finding all these amazingly cool, weird, hard to find CDs there so I keep going back. I've probably added 50 or 60 CDs to my collection over the past couple of years thanks to this store.  I don't know where they're all coming from but I hope the well never dries up!

That is incredibly cool.  I rarely find any good CD's or music in our area thrift stores, we do have a flea market though with some good stuff.

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11135502_f260.jpg

Goodwill has some excellent stuff.  I go there when I want something kicky.  I know of no other stores except for consignment stores.  Goodwill has some nice black plus size dresses.  I got a black velvet dress there for $4.00 years ago. Recently got a black linen dress for $9.00!

dresses are definitely one area where goodwill stores do a good job.  I hardly ever wear a dress and went there before a wedding I was attending and found a very lovely dress with tags even for just a few dollars.

5. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

we have a $2 store, and a $5 store, i like the cute gifts but some are not practical gifts. look like a cheapskate

6. Venus Rivera profile image75
    Venus Riveraposted 3 years ago

I live in Illinois too but in the suburbs. We have some great Goodwill here. I go to two of them one is on Plainfield Rd next to the Joilet Mall and the another one is on 59th & 127th Street. Every Sundays and Mondays they both have half-off prices.

7. heathersgreatcat profile image93
    heathersgreatcatposted 3 years ago

My absolute favorite is Community Thrift on Freedom Drive in Charlotte NC.  The neighborhood is sketchy but I always find the best brands of clothing and sometimes even cute jewelry.  I go there weekly.

8. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 3 years ago

I really don't know of any other than the  SA and the G in my area. but I can spend hours in there looking at old radios ,pottery books and everything old.

working