jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you have a garage/yard sale if you don't have a garage/yard?

1. brittanytodd profile image94
    brittanytoddposted 5 years ago

How do you have a garage/yard sale if you don't have a garage/yard?

I live in an apartment, am moving, and don't have a place to hold a garage sale.  Is it illegal to do it at a park?

2. YvetteParker profile image75
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

Why can't the buyers come into your apartment to purchase your items for sale? You may want to advertise it as a moving sale rather than a yard/garage sale. I hope this helps.

3. DreamsInBloom profile image78
    DreamsInBloomposted 5 years ago

You would have to ask permission from the park to find out if you could or not...each park probably has different policies. I have seen some parks and some parking lots for stores be used as yard sales for fundraisers.

If there is an area of grass in front of the apartment you could ask the managers for permission to hold a yard sale there.

If you have any friends with houses try and see if you can hold a yard sale together with them in their yard. Or if they will let you borrow their yard even if they don't want to do a co-yard sale.

You could take your stuff to a flea market and rent a spot.

As someone else suggested, you could do an "indoor yard sale" or "tag sale" in your apartment. Some people don't like that though, mostly for safety reasons, especially if you are a woman (make sure another person does it with you if you choose this option). And things you don't intend to be sold people could pressure you into selling or even steal...they could even use the opportunity to be in your apartment to "case the joint" or a later robbery or such. I don't believe in being fearful, but simply aware of the possibilities. I have a friend who had an indoor yard sale and it worked out well for him.

Think outside the box and see if there are places you can rent indoors or outdoor spaces for use. I know a lady who rented a retail space that had remained empty for a very long time to hold an estate sale of her mother's belongings...the sale lasted about a month instead of a typical weekend. I have also seen people hold "mini" yard sales in front of the RV Parks where they are staying.

4. Lori Anne Brown profile image36
    Lori Anne Brownposted 5 years ago

Few parks would allow any type of sales.

Check with your local flea market too. Many have very cheap rental fees for garage sale vendors. One near us charges $25 for the weekend - a great way to get rid of extra stuff with more traffic than a garage sale or in cases like yours, where you cannot have one.

Of course a friend with a yard might let you hold one at their place - though check local regulations as some cities and counties require you to get a permit for a sale.

5. parkn profile image35
    parknposted 5 years ago

I sell my items online as a matter of fact I am creating an online garage sale to sell items locally and by doing this I have tripled our sales, garage salers look for cheap deals and online we are able to sell items for  decent price, you could ask a friend if they would like to get together to have a garage sale and help eachother big_smile

6. Alexandria Joy profile image88
    Alexandria Joyposted 5 years ago

Virtual yard sale on Craig's list?  I'm in the same spot right now so I empathize.