jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do You Think People Save By Using Coupons Or End Up Spending More?

1. Mr Tindle profile image81
    Mr Tindleposted 5 years ago

Do You Think People Save By Using Coupons Or End Up Spending More?

Coupons of course give people a discount on products and services purchased. However another aspect about coupons, is that they are a marketing tool. Businesses use coupons to entice people to buy, so it is important for consumers to evaluate whether they are actually using coupons to save or if they end up spending more than they would otherwise. So what's your opinion, do coupons lead to more savings or more spending on average?

2. amurbach profile image83
    amurbachposted 5 years ago

It can be a gimmick. Couponers like me, however, only buy what I was going to buy anyways so it works out unless the product would be free or nearly free then no loss there. Items could be donated if I don't use them.  If I need coffee, bread and ice cream, these are the coupons I use.

1. Mr Tindle profile image81
      Mr Tindleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good point that you can save money by using coupons only on things you would be buying anyway

3. Janellegems profile image68
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

Well for me it leads to more savings because 99% of the time, i use it for the items I need and out of.  I guess for some people it can cause them to spend more on other items because they have a coupon for those items.  It's all about budgeting, sticking to your list at hand, and not being lured away in buying unnecessary things because of a coupon.

4. Cruncher profile image96
    Cruncherposted 5 years ago

If you are disciplined and only use coupons to buy items you would anyway, then it can save money. It also helps if you are a bit flexible about your shopping - for example buying a different brand of sauce if it's cheaper, or planning your meals about what is on offer (so long as they are not more expensive that what you would have bought!)

working